avenger

Just In From West Texas

I have been reading this site for a while and recently signed up. Since I have now made a couple of posts, I figured I should go ahead a make an introduction.

I am new to the craft and have gained immeasurable insight from this site when selecting the tools I would need to get started. My interests revolve around the items that I would personally use, such as wallets, belts, knife sheaths, iPad/iPhone/laptops sleeves, etc. Someday, I may try to sell a few items. But for now, I'll create and learn for myself and share with my family and friends.

I know my way around a woodworking shop, having sold a few items in the past. I suspect that there are a few transferrable skills that will aid me in my leatherworking. One that comes to mind would be 'measure twice, cut once'.

While never being directly involved in the farming or ranching business, it seemed that no matter where we lived when I was growing up, I had friends that were farmers or ranchers and I was fortunate enough to be able to spend time with them. No doubt this had something to do with my being able to admire good, quality leatherwork as it seemed to be fairly abundant in those settings.

As an aside, like changing a flat on a car, I think kids should be taught how to saddle a horse. That would get them out of the house, away from the Ninetendo/Xbox, and out into nature where they would get to see, in person, a horse and perhaps a cow or goat or other livestock. I haven't saddled a horse in years, although I am confident that I still could. But in saddling a horse, one gets to put their hands on and interact with the leather. A magical experience, in my book.

Enough of that, but I will close by saying that I am looking forward to learning from the collective wisdom on this site and thank you for the opportunity to interact.

Welcome aboard, from the North West!

welcome aboard avenger! I agree with you about getting kids off the idiot boxes like xbox and wii an TV. this is why I became a boy scout leader. we have a program specificly for putting kids' hands on horses and saddles. it works!

welcome aboard avenger! I agree with you about getting kids off the idiot boxes like xbox and wii an TV. this is why I became a boy scout leader. we have a program specificly for putting kids' hands on horses and saddles. it works!

Thanks Duke. And I'll add that more boys and young men need to have the experience of being a boy scout at some time during their lives. Great opportunity to learn some really good stuff.

I was a boy scout back in the 50"s. I can't even begin to describe all the benefits I personally have gained from that experience and how much of what I had learned then, had carried me forward to today! Welcome to the forum, the more the merry'er! Hope this is as fruitful for you as it has been for me.

Again Welcome!

Bob