mikebuilt

Singer 211G151 Any Good?

Hello all, Mike here: I am new to this sight and leather working. I am looking at buying a Singer 211G151 I have been told this is a good machine for sewing leather (I hate hand sewing) it looks good but what a pane. Any input will be helpful, thanks for your time. Mike out

Hi Mike, and welcome. The 211G151 is one of the best machines Singer built. It's basic design has been the footprint for many clones (copycats). It is a compound feed machine, meaning the needle bar and feed dogs move together to help feed heavier fabrics through the machine. It will sew light and less dense medium weight leather. Keep in mind this particular 211 doesn't have a walking foot that would help with the heavier leathers. These machines are from the 60's and were widely used in factories. Parts are readily available. The heads and tables are available for cheap, most will need a 120 volt motor conversion unless it's already been changed. You can certainly use a new servo motor and speed reducer. I would pay no more than $250 for one that was in good shape and sewing. More if the the motor had been changed from the original Singer 220 3 phase unit. I have 50 211's in storage in the factory, and we still use them for specific tasks.

Regards, Eric

Hi Mike, and welcome. The 211G151 is one of the best machines Singer built. It's basic design has been the footprint for many clones (copycats). It is a compound feed machine, meaning the needle bar and feed dogs move together to help feed heavier fabrics through the machine. It will sew light and less dense medium weight leather. Keep in mind this particular 211 doesn't have a walking foot that would help with the heavier leathers. These machines are from the 60's and were widely used in factories. Parts are readily available. The heads and tables are available for cheap, most will need a 120 volt motor conversion unless it's already been changed. You can certainly use a new servo motor and speed reducer. I would pay no more than $250 for one that was in good shape and sewing. More if the the motor had been changed from the original Singer 220 3 phase unit. I have 50 211's in storage in the factory, and we still use them for specific tasks.

Regards, Eric

Eric,

Would you be willing to part with one of those 50 machines in your factory? There aren't a whole lot of leather sewing machines here in NJ.

-Mark

I came across a 211G151 that had been sitting around for a few years and not being used.....I was told by the then owner that the "timing was off", in other words, he couldn't get it to sew...... and he didn't want to put the $$ into it to get it right.....so the machine was mine for the taking if I was man enough to carry it out of his basement..... I managed.

I dropped it off at Toledo Bob's yesterday and asked them to see if they could get it going right....and to set it up for sewing garment/upholstery leather as I plan to make soft string pulled pouches and other things.....they didn't seem concerned with the project, as they are built to last and built like tanks....and they had several other such machines in working order ready for new owners.

I'm like a kid awaiting Christmas to get it back here........I'll report the results.

I came across a 211G151 that had been sitting around for a few years and not being used.....I was told by the then owner that the "timing was off", in other words, he couldn't get it to sew...... and he didn't want to put the $$ into it to get it right.....so the machine was mine for the taking if I was man enough to carry it out of his basement..... I managed.

I dropped it off at Toledo Bob's yesterday and asked them to see if they could get it going right....and to set it up for sewing garment/upholstery leather as I plan to make soft string pulled pouches and other things.....they didn't seem concerned with the project, as they are built to last and built like tanks....and they had several other such machines in working order ready for new owners.

I'm like a kid awaiting Christmas to get it back here........I'll report the results.

You won't be dissapointed. We still use them in the factory.

Regards, Eric

Is a Singer 211G155 the same.

Edited by johnj

It is basicly the same machine except it has full compound feed, needle, upper and lower feed. A very good machine for most anything up to 3/8", but very fast with clutch motor, so a servo is a must have for leather work. Gump.

Thank you.

Is a Singer 211G166 similar ?????

the 211G166 has a walking foot needle feed & reverse.