Kate33

Another "i Need Help Buying A Sewing Machine" Question

Hi. Another newbie to the site interested in buying an industrial machine.I have really appreciated all the insights on this website (especially the postings on machines by Wizcraft).

I have been sewing leather and suede handbags on a Bernina 730, and I have not been able to get through many of my designs with this machine. And, I worry that I could be putting undue stress on an expensive home machine. I have been looking at used and some new machines in my area, and I have been testing them out using a pile of about 8 layers of leather and suede (the most I could imagine sewing.)

I tried a used Juki 563, and found it was tough for me to change the stitch length. I also tried a Consew (new) 206, and wasn't sold there either.

I tried a Juki 1181 (new) which wasn't able to make it through my leather stack, but the dealer thought there was a problem with the bobbin and suggested I try it again after they had worked on it. They also had a used (probably at least 20 year old grey) Adler 167 which had no problem going through the leather. I was leaning toward the Adler although I am a bit worried since I am not "mechanical" and worry that an older machine might be prone to more issues. Also, I would need to switch out the motor to the servo motor which the new Juki already has. The dealer's service guy seemed to think I would be better off with the newer Juki since the price of the 2 was about the same by the time I switched out the motor.

Any thoughts on the tradeoffs of an older Adler vs. a new Juki. I do understand from reading this site that the Adler walking foot is probably a better choice for leather. Also trying to stay under $1300 since I already have one expensive machine! Thanks! Kate

Did you decide on a machine?

Jeremy

Did you decide on a machine?

Jeremy

It will cost you but if you get a big jump foot like a Ferdco 900b or like and a Consew 206rb or like, combined with the machine you have now you will be well on your way to being able to do just about anything with out farting around tiring to make a machine do something it wasn't made to do and you coming out with a crappie end product except shoes. next you'll want a 7 inch single needle post machine with weal feed. Im sorry commercial machines just are not versatile. first get a big Ferdco or like first, you will be surprised just how light of stuff it will sew and of Corse you can sew thick stuff there more versatile than they look. feel free to get a used machine lift the foot and check if there is any slack any at all and if there isn't that's a darn good indicator the rest of the machine is in good shape, if the foot bar is tight from front to back buy the machine if the price is right specially if the machine is not working and you can get it for a song, and then drop it off and have it serviced.

Hi Kate,

I am thinking you really want a big stitcher which can also sew heavy veg tanned leather projects like saddle bags and biker gear like bags and tool rolls. Since you will be sewing 8 layers of 4oz at the max, a big stitcher would be more of what you want. I would recommend that you call Steve at Leather Machine Company and go look at a premium packaged Cobra 4. Steve also has used machines in the shop most of the time, and when he gets through with them, they purr like kittens. Steve is fairly close to you, he is right over the mountains in Ontario CA. Take a pile of leather with you and have them set the machine up to sew what you do every day. The premium package will have the bag and stirrup plates to make it sew bag closings easier. Steve is one of the few dealers in the country that sells leather stitching machines and sets them up correctly. Take a little holiday and pay him a visit.

Art

It will cost you but if you get a big jump foot like a Ferdco 900b ....

first get a big Ferdco or like first,

Sorry Dude, but Ferdco went out of business on June 5, 2012. They sold off all their machines and parts.

Thanks for all of the info. Right now I am really enjoying the Adler I bought, and it is making such a big difference in what I am able to design.I chose that machine based on much of what I read on this site, so I really have appreciated the input. I have had a couple of instances where it drips oil on my leather or suede at the start up of the use. So I am thinking it is best to do a few stitches on scrap before using it for my project, but other than the oil issue I am thrilled.

Kate;

Keep a paper towel or rag under the presser feet over night

Thanks for the advice- I will try that!

Dude, I was just trying to help the guy out. Ferdco 900 b parts are available from Consew except the upgrade parts. Ferdco stopped the 900 b because it was less expensive to build from the lesser Juki 441 body and called it the pro 2000. The 900 b is the only clone that is an up grade from the original, its a shame Ferdco had to down grade to the Juki body to make a profit. But on the bright side if you cant find a used 900 b and want a smooth running machine that will last a life time there is still the Adler 205 ,the old Ferdco's ,Union Specials and Adler's main parts are made from that hard steel that will dull a new file. If you hit a Juki shaft with a file it will cut in to the part. The cycle life of a 205 or 900b is about 3 times that of 441.Thats 38 years of sewing talking. and you don't have to grab the thread and pull it through the tensioners before you take your work from under the foot, that will cost you thousands in man hours if you sew for money and the thread doesn't cut into the parts after a couple years and fray your thread. Buy the way I have for sale a new in the create Landis 1 believe it or not and a 7 class singer 7-11 with reverse on the front of the machine that sat unused for 99 years and a Landis 77 Mckay stitchery in tight working order and a three speed Mitsubishi t2u-4410 with servo and computer and key board and Nakajima 280L and two old patchers and singer 236weel feed post and two Consew surgers a 393 3 thread and a 395 5 thread and an Adler heavy roller foot boot top machine and a Consew 206r size M bobbin and a Landis 12-L outsole stitcher and a US Blind stitch machine and a 1863 Howe model b and a Union special oil sump tailor machine and a Chandler bar tack machine and more taking up space in my 14.000 square foot sewing factory I'd love to sell.

Wish I could just come over and buy some of your machines. Have you listed them in our For Sale > Machinery > Sewing... section yet?

It's too bad about Ferdco going under. They produced some fine jump-foot leather stitchers. Ditto for Tony Luberto.

Put your laundry list on Marketplace, the leather related stuff should sell.

In your post, are you saying that a Consew or Ferdco shaft will stand up to a file and that a Juki won't? Given that the average mill file is in the 58-62HRc range, that would be one hard shaft. The Ferdco machines were manufactured on the Consew, Juki, and TA-King base machines, and I can guarantee you none of their shafts were hardened anywhere near 56. You don't harden any shaft that high as any impact would be rather dramatic. Hardness is employed for wear resistance, corrosion resistance, and sometimes for compressive load along the axis, but not ever in shear capacity as in a shaft. Hardness is used in special circumstances, not for every part in the machine. Ferdco left the business I suppose because sales lagged. There was too much profit taken, and the other dealers ate their lunch. When they went from the Juki to the TA-King, they saved a considerable amount and didn't pass it on. They could have went to China (mainland) and procured machines at a cost that would make them competitive, they did not.

Art