yuliya

Cigar Case

hello!

I would like to make a cigar case

my inspiration is this one ( the first after the humidor)

http://www.turtlemoon.com/acord/catalog/cigarcases.htm

I hope that someone could answer a few questions on how to get started.

in which order the work should be done?

carve first, then wet form, then dye?

I assume that in order to wet form it I should stich it first, but then the stitching will get colored as well.

if I stitch last then how would I wet form just half of it?

if I carve first would the carving be damaged during the forming process as the leather will have to be wetted again?

thank you!

Check this link out on you tube.

well, they did what I thought they would do - they molded it after it was stitched together. Does it mean it was dyed before they molded it? I just thinking that if I stitch it first and then dye it, they stitching will be all colored over. So it seems that I need to mold only one side at a time and stitch later or maybe there is a way to bind two sides together temporarily during molding?

also what weight and type of leather would be good for this. I understand it should be veg tanned.

My guess is they bought the leather all ready that color. If you want it dyed a certain color i would do that after i cut them out and before i sewed. I would sew them togeather before i tried to mold. Just a guess i think i would use 3 / 4 or 5 / 6 ounce. But i never have made one either.

Edited by dirtclod

Hi yuliya. You might enjoy checking out these topics started by TreeReaper and Willbury. They might give you some ideas.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=43661

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=41365

thank you!

maybe I was thinking in the right direction I was wondering if I could make a mold from polymer clay as I don't have tools to carve wood to make molds. anyone had used something like that?

I figured that way, somehow I might be able to create a mold so I can mold only one half at a time

I don't know if the clay would hold up to the use of a bone folder and pushing and pulling, etc... It would be worth a shot to try I guess. Check out the Stohlman books on leather cases for some other ideas including the blind stitching and gouging for corners etc.

Good luck

David

I ordered the Al's book yesterday. I also was wondering if I can bind the two sides with contact cement , then mold it, dye it and then stitch it. Not sure how strong the contact cement's bond is , whether it will withstand wetting and stretching it over the mold.

i'm thinking that you could bind the edge with contact cement, then use several small bulldog or spring loaded clips to help hold it while molding. when i make pen sleeves , i use fabritac glue because it sticks to leather and vinyl well, sets quickly and easy to apply without being messy. i use contact cement for larger projects. buying veg tan type already dyed may not be a bad way to go. hope this helps you.

I used 19mm(3/4") wood dowel for mine,cut to 155mm(6") Once I determined the size and final shape the case needed to be.

My assembly went this way;

• cut 4 pcs of 5oz veg to size and also cut out my recess for the bottom
  • Run the stitch groove
  • Run the lacing chisel for my holes
  • Tool any designs into them (Ileft this one plain)
  • Stitch away with my Awl
  • Wet and insert the 2 dowels and form
  • After drying, trim away the extra along the stitch line and shape edges
  • Paint and burnish the edges
  • Dye, dry and buff,
  • I used a beeswax/oil mix for a sealer/polish on mine

post-39733-0-66912800-1390484103_thumb.j

I use dowel rods or the metal tubes some cigars come in as the mold. After everything is tooled, stained/dyed, and stitched, wet the leather and use the dowels or tubes and a bone folder to shape or mold the slots for the cigars.

I made one the using the same process as KFC2013, except that I dyed the leather before wet forming and I may have used pvc pipe instead of dowels.

This method seems easier to me than forming each side and then sewing it together. Just feels like there's less room for error as far as getting things lined up.