Sign in to follow this  
SooperJake

Any Trick To Removing Small Scratches ?

I just finished an applique ( my first lacing project ) and I've ended up with some tiny scratched from the needle. The leather is vegetable tanned dyed with Angelus Jet Black. I've tried water and my thumb, and Bick 4, rubbing vigorously, to no avail.

What's a good way to prevent this in the future, beside "not letting the needle touch the leather"? Should I have put clear coat down over the dye first?

The only experience I had was with a vinagrooned motercycle bag I made with a bag kote finish. Most of them went away when I put a good coat of Aussie conditioner on it. However most of them were in the gusset and not out in front.

David

I've lightly scraped the surface a few times with sandpaper, and even gotten a few scratches from sharp screws that attach the base plate on my sewing machine (they're now covered with painter's tape). You can take a dauber that's been dipped in the appropriate color of dye, then remove as much of the excess as you can - think of a marker that's practically dry and you're ready to throw it in the trash. Then, gently scrub the dauber over the scratch to color the lighter area. Once it's oiled and finished, it should be barely noticeable.

I would dampen the leather and then rub out the scratches with a modeling spoon. (oops, I should ask, are we talking veggie tanned leather?)