csteel24

Juki 1541S Oil On Fabric And Thread

Hi there,

This is my first post. I have read various threads over the last 3 month in preparation for making up my mind on what machine to buy and I finally settled on a used Juki 1541S. She is something like four years old, was used less than 50 hours for making cushions and seems generally to be in a good shape as far as I can say and here my problems start as this is my very first industrial machine and I do not really know anything about it.

The first problem I have now is that after oiling the machine (I do not think that I put too much oil on the machine) I find oil on the backside of my sewing and is look like the bobbin thread is a bit oily too.

Any idea on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks a lot

Martin

Welcome Martin! I'm thinking you need to turn your hook oiler down a bit at a time until it stops throwing oil. Tip the machine back and look for a small nut that locks down a small screw, very close on the casting where the hook shaft is. Loosen the jam nut and turn the screw counter clockwise 1/4 turn. Tighten the nut and then sew for a while. It will take time for the oil return wicks to get rid of your excess oil. It actually takes very little oil to keep the hook running smooth. Your bobbin case can get a little warm to the touch and that's ok. If it gets hot, turn your oiler back up. Keep adjusting until you get it where you want. There will always be a little oil in the neighborhood, but it shouldn't be getting on your material. Also, when you're not sewing, get in the habit of sewing a piece of cotton and leaving it under the foot. This will help keep your working surface cleaner. And have fun!

Regards, Eric

Also, when you're not sewing, get in the habit of sewing a piece of cotton and leaving it under the foot. This will help keep your working surface cleaner.

Regards, Eric

This is a very good tip! Thanks Eric!

Welcome Martin! I'm thinking you need to turn your hook oiler down a bit at a time until it stops throwing oil. Tip the machine back and look for a small nut that locks down a small screw, very close on the casting where the hook shaft is. Loosen the jam nut and turn the screw counter clockwise 1/4 turn. Tighten the nut and then sew for a while. It will take time for the oil return wicks to get rid of your excess oil. It actually takes very little oil to keep the hook running smooth. Your bobbin case can get a little warm to the touch and that's ok. If it gets hot, turn your oiler back up. Keep adjusting until you get it where you want. There will always be a little oil in the neighborhood, but it shouldn't be getting on your material. Also, when you're not sewing, get in the habit of sewing a piece of cotton and leaving it under the foot. This will help keep your working surface cleaner. And have fun!

Regards, Eric

Thanks! I will try to adjust the hook oiler over the weekend and post some pictures of the process.

Cheers

Martin

I found the screw for regulation the hook oilier and and turned it back for a quarter turn there is still a lot oil going on bit the fabric stays clean. I think that did the trick.

I attached a picture for the case somebody else has the same machine, same problem.

8331641174_23d747bdce_z.jpg

Juki hook Oiler_0001 (1) by Martin Stahl, on Flickr

Thanks

Martin

Nice work Martin. Oil underneath is good! Oil on fabric not good. This is a common issue on industrial machines. As they age, they tend to throw more oil from looser seals and shafts, so the oilers need to be turned down.

Regards, Eric

Hi there, this thread is a fews years old but I have a question similar and wonder if anyone can help! The info about decreasing the hook oiler is great. But I'm wondering if I have a different oil issue.

I have a Juki 1541S (actually a Yamata knock off) it is new. I am using it to bind notebooks, all paper. When sewing (I chain sew them and this happens every 3 or 4 but not consistent), oil starts to splatter from above the needle and of course splatters on the covers of the notebooks and oil surrounds the holes of each stitch. My first question is: Is there a way to regulate the oil from the wick up on top of the machine? The extra oil release is not consistent but happens enough to lose many notebooks..... Which right now is our biggest sellers. :)

Really appreciate any ideas. The machine is new to me and still working out the kinks.

best,
Kathryn

6 hours ago, Blackbirdletterpress said:

Hi there, this thread is a fews years old but I have a question similar and wonder if anyone can help! The info about decreasing the hook oiler is great. But I'm wondering if I have a different oil issue.

I have a Juki 1541S (actually a Yamata knock off) it is new. I am using it to bind notebooks, all paper. When sewing (I chain sew them and this happens every 3 or 4 but not consistent), oil starts to splatter from above the needle and of course splatters on the covers of the notebooks and oil surrounds the holes of each stitch. My first question is: Is there a way to regulate the oil from the wick up on top of the machine? The extra oil release is not consistent but happens enough to lose many notebooks..... Which right now is our biggest sellers. :)

Really appreciate any ideas. The machine is new to me and still working out the kinks.

best,
Kathryn

This is an old thread and I just came here today to find out how to change the oil flow to the hook on my Juki 1541s, love this site very helpful. I was getting spotting on top also but it seamed to go away I hope you find the help your looking for.  Would also like to hear what you can do about oil coming down from top since this is my first machine.