radar67

Leather Grease

I was browsing through some you tube videos a week or so ago. One of the videos had a comment about how the guy made his leather grease. One of the ingredients was lard, does anyone have a recipe for leather grease? (I can not find the video again) I did a search here and came up with 7 posts with the term "leather grease", one of those posts had a reference to a book, (Saddlery by Paul N. Hasluck) which has a recipe in it. Does anyone have a copy of the book? I want to try my hand at making a couple of whips and want to make my own grease.

Edited by radar67

i just made a batch using 2 cups of melted tallow, a bar of grated glycerine soap and a bar of grated ivory soap, seemed to work pretty well

hope this helps

Bryce

It is a start. Thanks Bryce. Anyone else?

I use teh tallow and Ivory soap. If you want something with a little water repellant, add some beeswax.

The formula that I have used before that I got for a David Morgan book (I think) is :

1 pound lard 4 oz ivory bar soap 1.5 cups water

Heat water and shave soap into it. Once soap is dissolved, cut in lard. Stir over gentle heat till a creamy paste is created. Pour off to a plastic tub and cool.

Lasts for years.

Lard is rendered pork fat. Crisco is a vegetable shortening. Tallow would be rendered beef fat.

The formula that I have used before that I got for a David Morgan book (I think) is :

1 pound lard 4 oz ivory bar soap 1.5 cups water

Heat water and shave soap into it. Once soap is dissolved, cut in lard. Stir over gentle heat till a creamy paste is created. Pour off to a plastic tub and cool.

Lasts for years.

I used this recipe last time I made some with a couple minor variations. I added a small amount of olive oil after the lard. Once everything was dissolved I removed it from the stove and poured into a large mixing bowl. I used the handheld mixer and whipped it two times while it was cooling. The mixture will expand the more it is mixed. Before it set, I poured it into two large plastic containers.

This has the same feel and texture as the store bought "Vaquero Rawhide Cream".

i have a query regarding leather grease (or saddle soap) as i've read it...

id seen similar recipes during my web readings, so in my version i substituted with products i could find. i used a vegetable shortening, and grated dove soap. i cooked the mixutre on low flame till the soap melted and then i let it cook before storing in boxes.

now abt a year later, the surface has water droplets when i open the box. i live in a humid city. but its winter now not monsoon.

why would this happen? it doesnt seem to be affecting the leather adversely, but can it?

In a closed box, the moisture will be seeping out of your product. Probably not anything to worry about. It should keep it soft and usable. Just make sure it is in a cool place so as to not start to grow mold.