lol That ukulele he has is worth more than most guitars on the market.

I agree that high G strung ukuleles sound crappy.

The tonal quality of an acoustic instrument comes entirely from the sound board or top of the instrument. This is why quality guitars are built with x bracing and a solid sitka spruce top. The longer it ages and the more the top drys the better it gets. The best tones are from an acoustic who's top has lost all of the inner dusting from manufacture and can reverberate. If you wrap an acoustic, you will kill it, plain and simple. Electrics are somewhat a different animal. Chris is correct in that as long as the bridge is still firmly anchored to the wood the magic can still happen. However I will only qualify this for a solid body. Wrap an electric hollow body and you lose all of the movement of the wood top same as an acoustic. The biggest contributors to tone, in an electric guitar, are the strings, pickups, and the height of the action. The wood plays a part but is really secondary, to some respect. Big tone equals big strings, high action and fat frets. Your mileage may vary, but I have been doing this for just a bit and that is my recipe for tone. Oh, and tube amps.........gotta have tube amps with no pedals...............Plug it in and go. Other than that, the Tele is killer..

lol That ukulele he has is worth more than most guitars on the market.

I agree that high G strung ukuleles sound crappy.

Yes Sylvia I guess so. The worst instrument to hear somebody practice on must be a violin. I remember my mother practiced on her accordion, never played a hole piece, I hated that too. And the wooden flute we had play in children school sound terrible. The Ukulele scores high on my list too. It lacks body, has only high notes. In addition to other instruments it can be used as a soprano, however I do not like it as a solo instrument. It has become very popular lately because its easy to play on, It think its some kind of hype that will pass soon. I do love a lot of instruments too, the guitar is one of them. Now you know why I thinks it is a good idea to wrap it in leather. However, lead will do a better job. LOL

I totally agree with everything you say Bluesman, However, I prefer a Strat. I sold mine years ago when times was Though, and I have never been able to buy an other one. Now I only play for my own amusement, I will do with my acoustics and a cheap strat copy some one gave to me.

Edited by Trox

I convinced a buddy that plays in a pretty big band to let me give this a go with one of his back up bass guitars. I'll let you know how it goes.... :banana:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Good Luck! It is a blast!

Outstanding thread. I have been wanting to build a Waylon inspired guitar for a while now.

Quick question - about how much lace do you need for a tele?

About 30 meters

I have been wanting to try this fro a very long time, but wasn't quit sure how to go about it. I am going to try this for sure.

Thanks for the advise.

I have been wanting to try this fro a very long time, but wasn't quit sure how to go about it. I am going to try this for sure.

Thanks for the advise.

Good Luck! just take your time.

So it looks like you did your tooling AFTER gluing the leather to the body. I'm assuming this was done so the pieces wouldn't warp?

Would you suggest doing it this way if one were planning to cover the entire piece in floral tooling? Tool after attaching the leather to the body or before?

Thanks!

I must thank you so much chancey77 if it was not for someone as cool as you I would never have made my Waylon and Many others so I want to thank you your the only one that tells it like it is and don’t care about secrets that others won’t give stay cool I love your  tele 

Thank you so much for sharing.  I was just asked today to make a leather guitar cover for a friend.  I am looking for help.  Would you happen to know if there are any tooling patterns available for this?  I would love to find one.

10 hours ago, JDsimms55 said:

Made a Waylon out of a fanner tenner uke  

wooooowee, that's cool.