Ran

Frustrating Stitching Today..

Today, I was stitching up a couple of holsters with my new CB4500. First, let me say that despite a couple of operator errors, I love this machine. The trouble I was having today involved going along just fine when all of the sudden the workpiece comes up 'with' the pressor foot and the machine skips a stitch. It also looked like the thread was getting torn up a little. I noticed a couple of times immediately after having this happen that pulling the thread manually above the needle was more resistant than I believe it should be. The tension of the bobbin thread seemed normal to me.

After this happened a couple of times I decided to re-thread the machine from spool to needle. After that, things seemed to work fine. But I also didn't do much stitching after that so I'm still not sure I have the problem remedied.. Any assistance will be much appreciated.

I have had and have that problem once in a while. What i think happens is either leather has some rawhide in it making it sticky or your glue wasn't dry. I notice it more on 12 / 14 ounce hides than any other time.

You may need to tighten down the presser foot spring to keep hard leather from lifting with the needle.

Some thread is springier than it should be, especially some black thread. Keep an eye on the top thread, from the spool to the needle. It can twist over itself, pop out of tension disks, or wrap around the bottom tension disk assembly, causing excessive top tension. It happens to me every now and then, usually when I sew at higher speeds, which leads to vibration of the machine, table and thread stand.

Use a lubricated thread, or you might have to small of a needle for the thread size. That would result in the hole being to tight, and cause you work to jump occasionally. Just a couple things to think about.

Ross

Thanks folks. I'll check all of those things. I did notice the thread (white 277 with a 25 needle) twisting a little as it comes off the spool

Randy,

Wiz is correct you need to tighten the foot pressure a turn or so the stop this.Some leather will have hard spots in it & when the foot lifts as your sewing the shuttle skins the thread because a full loop of thread wasn't formed because of the lifting.The thread your using from us is lubed & that is the correct size needle.

Randy,

Wiz is correct you need to tighten the foot pressure a turn or so the stop this.Some leather will have hard spots in it & when the foot lifts as your sewing the shuttle skins the thread because a full loop of thread wasn't formed because of the lifting.The thread your using from us is lubed & that is the correct size needle.

Thanks Bob. I expected there to be a 'learning curve' with this tool much like I've experienced with many of my woodworking tools over the years. I just wish the mishaps wouldn't happen right in the middle of the most visible part of the project.. :rolleyes2:

You know how mistakes are they never happen where it doesn't show.

You know how mistakes are they never happen where it doesn't show.

I'm planning to give you a call to discuss this when I catch a break..

God I love this Forum. Service from the Dealer right in the forum. I have never seen this type of service on any other forum no matter what the type. All the good vendors participate. Thank you CowboyBob. You made points with a future customer.

After the sewing is complete, lifting the foot releases tension.

I lift the foot and pull the thread from above the needle.

Not related to your sewing problem but just mentioning it.

Edited by Tree Reaper