mmirob

American Alligator 1911

The more I use gator the more I like it. Ever so unique. I normally don't use conchos on OWB rigs but this one seems to fit and not one you can buy at any tandy store. We'll see if it helps it sell!

post-13859-0-17967100-1355750070_thumb.j

post-13859-0-99788600-1355750098_thumb.j

I like the color variances in the brown one.

The hide is really pretty. Is that for a 1911?

Yes, Govt.

I think they look nice. The stitch line is way off, but that's easily corrected.

:cheers:

Not sure what you are referring to on the "stitch line being way off". Any time you are using a 3-5oz exotic that covers 7-8oz veg tanned the 90 deg curve stitching right below the trigger guard can not be as close as if it were only 7-8oz veg tan. Gator in particular can vary in thickness depending on the length of the hide. For example a 10 foot hide may be 5-6oz. If the tannerery makes it any thinner they run the risk of cutting holes in between the scales since they are larger and much more pronounced. 4-6 foot gator hides are usually 3-4 oz. The veg tan below is molded tightly to the contours of the 1911. Is that what you are referring to?

The profile of the triggerguard is what I was talking about. I meant no disrespect. The stitch line is critical, and if you feel that it can't get close because of the combined thickness of the front panel, then it would make sense to go lighter on the lining to achieve a tight line. A full coverage exotic is an investment and a tight, long-lasting line is completely necessary.

My 2¢.

No disrespect taken. :o) As long as the compression from stitch line is tight to the front panel, and from the front panel to the veg tanned below, there is little room for movement... provided of course the the veg tanned below is formed tight to the pistol. American alligator is indeed expensive, and not the hide you want to use without some experience in full coverage builds.

On an ancillary note, I find that using the smaller (and thinner) hides (4-6 foot)are better at showing the boning lines. Perhaps more noticable on the 1911 since the lines are readily recognizable. However the larger gnarly scales have their own unique beauty and seem to appeal equallly to many.

Very nice. The brown one is my favorite. It has nice depth.

Very nice work ! thank you for showing them.

love the way the gator looks.

Thanks! Each is so different. Scales on a gator is like a fingerprint.

What oz leather do you use to put the gator on?

7-8oz... Same as I use for any standard holster. The exotic just adds decorative style and durability.

Thanks for the info. These still tickle my fancy.lol.

Thanks! Each is so different. Scales on a gator is like a fingerprint.

I LOVE the gator. Both colors look good.

Where do you get your gator from?

I LOVE the gator. Both colors look good.

Where do you get your gator from?

Craigslist & Ebay! I search it everyday. A Seller by the name of "southerngent" on ebay has some nice American alligator in FL. All gator is pricey so prepare your work before you cut. Dont be confused with caiman or nile crocodile. They are NOT the same! American alligator bellies are the only way to go.

Craigslist & Ebay! I search it everyday. A Seller by the name of "southerngent" on ebay has some nice American alligator in FL. All gator is pricey so prepare your work before you cut. Dont be confused with caiman or nile crocodile. They are NOT the same! American alligator bellies are the only way to go.

I just did a search for "southerngent" and they came back with nothing for sale and living in NC.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=southerngent&ftab=AllFeedback

Actually, after looking at it again, it says that they're not a registered user???

After some more research, I found the seller. Their ID is "southnjent". A little different spelling.

Edited by Bobby hdflame

They look great! Can you share a source for gator? I have been wanting to try some out...........Rory

"southnjent" ebay He sells some nice stuff.

Also http://www.ostrichmarket.com/ has very nice stuff too