Aahran

Motorcycle Saddlebags For My Brother For Christmas

Just finished a set of saddlebags as a Christmas pressie for my brother who just started riding this year. Learned a lot of lessons about wax waterproofing and edge finishing. Also learned not to use Eco-Flow one step on large surfaces; could not get an even coat, so there are way more streaks and splotches than I would like.

post-18352-0-07762000-1355769310_thumb.jpost-18352-0-07356300-1355769321_thumb.jpost-18352-0-15969300-1355769371_thumb.jpost-18352-0-04943500-1355769377_thumb.jpost-18352-0-11204600-1355769388_thumb.j

cool bags buddy,

Well Done . Very fine project . Excellant gift . Bill

Very nice, Im sure your brother will appreciate them. I would!

Thanks, I appreciate the praise for sure. Could anyone help with some suggestions on waterproofing the crossed latigo lacing on the top of the bags? Purchased the pattern and realized too late that water will run right in. The bags are not lined on the inside, so I still have access to the bottom view of the stitching

Dont know if anyone else does this but what I have done on numerous projects, (hats being the primary), is natural beeswax. I will put little clumps of beeswax over stitch holes and openings and then heat them with a lighter to melt the wax evenly. The heat also makes the wax clear (well almost clear). For the whole hat (this will apply to most larger projects) I will put beeswax in a little metal can and place that in a pot of boiling water to melt the wax and then coast the entire piece with a spine and the melted beeswax. The hats or whatever else I'm making is then as waterproof as I need them to be. Just make sure you don't microwave the wax as it will bubble and make a huge mess (cant buy experience). I am sure some people have other ways of waterproofing and will say my method won't work or whatever but so far it works perfect for me. You may need to repeat the process about once a year depending on what conditions the bike is stored and used but it doesn't take a long time to do this and it really works great (for me).

Sponge not spine by the way.

You could glue a piece of rubber on the inside of the lid. It will slow it down some. You are going to get some water in it with the way the flap closes anyway. Leather bags get wet in the rain going down the road. That is why God invented plastic bags so don't stress too much about it. They are good looking bags, I do use Aussie conditioner on all my leather on the bike

David

I protect my leather products that will take the abuse from the elements with "SNO-SEAL" apply generously and hit with the heat gun seems to work well.