Bee33

Help Leather Sewing Machine Choice?

I need a lot of help..... My husband is getting a little sick of seeing just my eyes peeking over my lap top... I've been doing a lot of research on which sewing machine to start with for sewing leather. I've been given the OK to purchase a leather sewing machine, problem is i have no idea what i am looking for, and what i need. I want to make leather purses, wallets, ect. Nothing major, nothing seriously thick. Just an average leather purse. I only have $600.00 to spend on a machine and i am hesitant on purchasing used. I've been looking at some Econosew, juki, sailrite, basically anything that will sew leather under $600 buckaroos. Right now i have your basic home sewing machine that i use all the time so i am not a novice in the sewing world just a novice in the leather sewing world. I tried sewing some leather with my brother sewing machine it pierced through and sews but it wont sew with a heavy weight thread.

Here is what i would like:

Sewing machine that will sew with a thicker thread. (40#?)

would like zigzag but not necessary.

walking foot

flat working surface under machine if that makes sence?

servo motor or no sperate motor... i am fond of the sailrite machine not sure why.

i dont want the cheapo junk brand i would like a reputable machine.

It does seem like there are some Econosew machines in my price range too are they decent?

so any ideas would be appriciated.... I dont need complex anwsers just someone in simple terms to say for your light medium work you should look at this machine in your price range..... That would be soooo wonderful.... THank You in advance.

Im not sure what thickness the leather will be im gu

Most of the machines listed here won't do zig zag. How thick do you think you will be sewing (total thickness)? The Sailrite machines may work if you only sew thin stuff. Most people here will recommend something like a Consew 206RB type of machine. Flat bed, will sew a 40 or 69 thread which is pretty small. Keep in mind that people on this board tend to lean towards heavier leathers so their machine suggestions tend to be heavier duty than you may need.

For a flat bed, check out a Consew 206RB. Any of the subclasses (1-5) will do fine. There are better machines in that class but they are more expensive and the Consews will sew just fine. If you buy used, you may be able to get it with a servo for $600 but that would be a pretty good deal. I've seen them more in the $800 range.

If you can spend more money, check out something like a Consew 227R. Basically the same machine as a 206RB but with a cylinder bed which can be useful for sewing tricky gussets in bags. Flat bed attachments are available for them so they can work like a flatbed machine. More versatile but again, more expensive.

There are more expensive options out that there are better machines but these machines are already very good and their prices are going to be lower. Check out the dealers that are linked to on this board. They all sell either these exact machines or their own versions of these machines (basically the same thing but rebranded). Their service is good and if they have used machines, the prices won't be bad either. Cheapest prices will probably be found on Craigslist but then you'd have to know what you're getting yourself into. With these dealers, you'll know that you're getting a working machine with support behind it.

Andrew

Hi Bee.

I thought along about the same lines as you as far as budget and quickly found that my frugality was costly in the long run. $200 of your budget will likely go to shipping costs. Double your budget at least (probably more like $1500-$1800) and contact Cobra Steve. Have him look for a good used machine that will do what you need. He examines and adjusts used machines so you can feel confident that they are in good shape. He will not pawn some worn out hunk of junk on you.

BTW... don't forget that you'll want reverse.

Bee,

I just listed an Artisan 797 AB walking foot for sale. My asking price is $750, but I might be able to do it for $600 if you cover shipping costs. Artisan is a very reputable maker, IMO much more reliable than econosew. No zig zag, but then it is hard to find even a used zig zag walking foot for under $1200.

Where are you located?

Bee the 797 is a good machine made by Highlead, a premier manufacturer in China. If it is the LTHR model, it will have smooth feet and possibly a speed reducer and servo motor. This machine normally sells for around $1200. It does not have needle feed, but those machines (called the 618) sell around $1500 new. You would probably be able to sweet-talk Steve (Cobra) into giving you phone service if you ever need it. I don't know where you are located so it is a little hard to assess shipping and service.

Art

I would be inclined to forget about the zig-zag function.

I used to run into them quite frequently, but I am near Annapolis and would fix machines for some of the Sail/Canvas shops, still do for a few oldtimers. Most of the zz machines were for doing sail luffs where there is a lot of tension along the length of the seam. Most of these machines were mechanical zz with big cams on the back of the machine so you could change patterns. Some would do a zz with the running stitch also a zz (zz on top of zz). Quite a few of them had big mechanical pullers and other sewing mechanicals. It was just fascinating to get to see some of these machines and use them. Useless for leather.

Art

I would agree on a cylinder bed w/table attachment.I have a home machine for light material,and a heavy duty cylinder bed,which is very useful.

The only machines I watch prices for is a 25-30 in longarm and a post machine.I have room for neither right now,and would have to get rid of numerous toys to fund them. Good luck finding a machine that suits your needs and price range. I would talk with the dealers on here,service

is very important when you have problems.