suncoast

Ostrich Shin Watch Strap Question

Hello Leatherworkers, I'm new to your site and leatherworking, I've made a few watch straps that have turned out pretty nice but now I'm thinking of trying to make a couple of Ostrich leg watch straps. I'm wondering if any of you have experience making watch straps and more specifically Ostrich watch straps? I'm thinking that I'll have to glue the Ostrich skin on to a veggie tan leather backer and then maybe line the strap with a nice thin lambskin and then stitched along the edges. Can anyone advise me if this is the right way to proceed?

Thanks for any advice, :notworthy:

Don't know if this helps, but I've used the ostrich shin for a cellphone sleeve and it's worked well for over a year now. The plates have not raised up at all, even though I did a 180 deg turn. One thing to keep in mind is to close the gaps between the plates as you glue them down. That's what I did and it seems to have worked. I don't seem to be able to upload a pic of it for you. G'luck.

Hello Suncoast,

I see you have asked the question a while ago. Did you figure it out how to do it? I am thinking of making my own ostrich leg strap and would be thankful for any advise.

Cheers

Edited by leatherbuff

Yes I did, I did almost exactly what I said above except I put a thin piece of leather under the ostrich in order to make it pop a bit so it's kind of padded in the center a bit, I'll try and load a pic.

ostrich2_zps739ded58.jpgostrich1_zps68df83f7.jpg

Very nice looking! One question from someone who has never made a watch strap: How to you finish the edges in a situation like this? Are you able to burnish the edge with the Ostrich or do you need to do something else to finish or seal the edge?

Bob