jooleyen

Chromium Tanned Leather Doesn't Take In Water?

Hi there. I'm trying to find some skin to make mukluks and I have 2 choices (only 2 because I can't seem to find smoke-tanned moose hide anywhere). I can use "commercially tanned" deerskin or chromium tanned bison. The bison is thicker so I'd rather use that, but since these are mukluks i'm trying to make and will be in constant contact with the ground, i don't want them to take in water.

What is commercially tanned? specifically, what process of tanning is used?

Will chromium tanned leather work for this project?

Thanks!

Im not sure about chrome tanned leather but why not finish them with Snow Seal and make them waterproof?

I don't know if it'll work for this project specifically, but I have some chrome / veg-retan latigo & it does not take in water. Very water resistant. :) ~

Sangmort, that's good news. I guess that means chrome tan doesn't take in water, so it should work fine. The only reason not to waterproof mukluks is that it defeats the entire purpose of them... no, not to get wet in them, but so that they can breathe. A sacrifice in breathe-ability always seems to be a byproduct of waterproofing.

I have some chrome tanned that DOES take water. But I'm wondering if some of the "off" companies might have the buffalo you want. About a year ago I bought some deer tanned Cow from someone that liquidates odd lots from tanners. His site is http://www.theleatherguy.org/BISON-BUFFALO-HIDES-Old-15367.aspx He has chrome tanned and "old world" brain tanned buffalo. Sometimes he even has moose.

Another place is http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/sides.htm I see about 3/4 of the way down is a black bison that looks nice.

Unless the leather has been treated with oils, waxes or other sealant, they will all take in water, even a latigo will take on some water, it just does it slowly. There really isn't a traditional tanning process that will create a waterproof leather, it is accomplished through the conditioning.

Even authentic mukluks are treated with animal fats to give them their water repellant characteristics and it also is what allows them to remain supple and pliable.