Lippy

Y-Knot Lace Combination Beveler

Has anyone tried the Y-Knot lace Combination Beveler? It looks well made and the price at $150 seems very fair. So, . . . how does it really work for cutting and beveling?

What blades work best? How does it cut on soft and hard leathers? How narrow will it bevel?

All comments welcome.

Cheers and Happy holidays!

post-6858-0-83893400-1356113135_thumb.jp

I have used it very briefly in Sheridan last May. Works well and easy to use.

Does it cut at a 90 degree as well, for resizing lace? That's what the picture seems to show, but I can't be sure. I do want a beveler for cowhide lace, but if it will also allow me to resize any "wobbles", I'd be sold on it.

It cuts at 90, 30, and 45 degrees.

I have one that I have been using for a year or so now. I use regular carpet knife blades. I take them and break them in 1/2 so there is not a sharp edge sticking out. It seams to work very good for the price, I have no complaints other than you have to be very carful with the blades sticking out.

Randy

Thanks for all your comments. I'm just surprised that I haven't any other posts about it. I'm new to braiding so it's hard for me to judge how the Y-Knot tool would function any better or worse that a Lacemaster or any of the other $400 tools. That said, some of the more expensive tools also have a lace splitting function.

I think it is because it is new. When I was poking around on their site sometime in November, they only had the two bevelers, so this is a brand new model. Can't wait to see how it works.

Looks like it might be hard to guide a small string the closer U get to the blade because the bearing surface drops off. Wouldn't know without using it.

I do't think there is a bearing. The part you seem to be referring to is the part that holds the blade. the angle desired is by changing out the end parts..thinking of getting one as it looks fairly simple to use

It is a great little tool for the money, I am surprised they don't go to some of the shows and demostrate, maybe they have been to Sheridan, I don't know since it's been several years since I've been there. I looked at the lacemaster but thought it was way over priced for what it does. RC

Randy, I haven't been to any shows this year, but in years past Barbara was at all of them including smaller ones like Elko. This is Barbara Sorenson who was in the booth with Ron (Ron's tools). She bought the lace business (and at that time the bevelers) from Jim Downey when he retired.

Y-Knot Lace had a booth at the Pendleton Show last November which is where I first saw the combination beveler.

Edited by Lippy