cbeatti2

Craftool Diamond Hole Chisel Set

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with the Craftool Diamond Hole Chisel Set (Pt # 3009-00)? It's on sale ATM and seems like a good buy for a hobbyist like me but not sure if I should be using something like this or simply using a diamond awl and doing one stitch at a time as demonstrated in "The Art of Hand Stitching Leather", after using the stitch wheel. The chisel set seems like it would reduce a lot of the inconsistency I seem to currently have in my stitches.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.ca/en-cad/search/searchresults/3009-00.aspx

Thanks, Clark

I am using one of the older style 4 prong chisels and it works well for me. I had to sharpen mine when I got it.

Thanks Wishful. I'll probably pick it up then...I keep thinking I have all the tools I need and then along comes the next need, but this one is a necessity I think, but then I always say that. LOL.

Clark

I have them and dont really use them. They make holes that don't really close up like the awl does. But I have used them at times when I am feeling lazy.

I have them and dont really use them. They make holes that don't really close up like the awl does. But I have used them at times when I am feeling lazy.

Ah, I see. They cut a hole like a chisel (hence the name) instead of making a hole like the awl does... The awl makes a small needle hole that gets stretched out and therefore would also shrink and seal up. Good to know. Thanks

My parents got me this set of chisels for Christmas this year. They easily cut my time spent stitching in half. I've never had any trouble stitching with an awl, but I've been looking for something to speed up the process and these chisels are well worth the money IMO. Especially at the price they're at right now.

I have them and use them, my specialty is lacing, however, when I do stitch something I use these diamond punches and have never had a problem with them, stitches very well spaced, lined up neatly and I normally sew while the leather is damp and I only punch enough to slightly go through the back, the holes seem to close up pretty well. If I were good with an awl, I would probably prefer that, but my awl work compared to what I can do with these is terrible. Maybe I should learn, but I'm well over 60 and like I said, I don't do much sewing so for me they're a great time saver and make my stitching look better than I could do it with an awl.

Chief

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll go pick a set before the sale expires...I need all the help I can get with my leather stitching. Tracing paper is also on sale I see. :thumbsup:

Clark

I have a set, had to sharpen them on my belt sander, great time saver and leaves a nice pattern when ya get to know it.