This is a Nacelle cover & set of Driving Light protectors for a Harley Davidson Road King

post-33037-0-20125400-1356318826_thumb.j

Nice! Not at all what I was expecting though :)

Sorry should have posted this earlier.

62118_10200412356538432_2113762375_n.jpg

Thatrs nice, what did you use to finish the leather? Are the covers for the lights a tight fit so they dont come off?

I still want to make a leather tank cover but havent decided how to go about it.

OdinUK,

Mate the external finish is done using a water-base "all in one" Parrie Tan, I slightly dampen the leather first (it's 3-4 oz veg tan), then after drying and polishing i applied 100% neats Foot Oil to the interior (flesh side) until it soaks in and surfaces on the grain side... then snow proof dressing to add water seal to the outside and stitching. ( The idea of the neats is not only to provide a good finish and leather conditioner but it also protects the chrome underneath from it's natural oil film, make polishing your chrome a breeze)

This actual leather has traveled all conditions over 15,000KM (9K + miles) and they stay put! The light covers don't move at all, yes they are a tight fit, the outer rims are wet molded to size and then stitched, then outer black seam added, there is also a bolt/screw slot punched (about an inch long x 1/4' wide) just under the base of each light that helps locate them. (the screws under there hold the chrome ring around the lens).

I usually travel long haul ....800 to 1000 km a day and it is pretty good to just slip them off to clean or give them a quick wipe with a damp cloth to remove the bug guts and a light dressing and there right to go again..... so much easier than washing bugs off paint, chrome and lenses.

(some people cringe at the thought of leather touching their chrome or paint!!!! instead they think of the cheap vinyl with felt lining is fine.....but knowledge and testing is a different story....we actually use leather to Strop/Polish our tools to a mirror finish......as with most liners it's the foreign matter that gets between the liner and the part that is the problem, but these fit tight and kept clean i have no problems.)

The fork shroud protectors in this image are great too, inspired by a rock that left a 1/4'' round dent in one side, they are stainless steel under the leather and same goes for cleaning.

I have a full tank & lower fork and leg armor set for this bike also, will post later so you may have an idea of the way the tank armor is built.

Cheers Jace

Thanks for all that info Jace, its much appreciated. I was planning, when I have the tank cover, to fit a microfibre cloth to its lower side so that it doesnt scratch the paint. I was considering to attatch the cloth with velcro so that I could periodically change it to get rid of dust or dirt. I dont know Parrie Tan, Ill look it up.

Sorry mate - spelling should be Prairie Tan, very close to saddle tan..... well i can't tell the difference.

Here's a pic of the tank armor: (the nacelle cover in this image is the Prairie Tan Finish) I utilised the brands of a 9-10oz veg leather side and heat hardened after construction ) then I use a quality Aust Sheep Skin with wool in tack and trim it with electric hair clippers to about 20mm thick and then taper it up towards the fuel caps and then use a pigskin underlap where it sits very firm under the fuel caps ... sits wonderful, wool is totally moisture resistant, dust is not a worry as the wool fibers are long and repel the dust or it just goes deep in the wool... easy to give them a shake or even a shampoo too! The sheep is stitched in also - the complete set in the image weighs approx 5lb -2.5 kg

218003_10200425460066012_492343975_n.jpg

Thanks for posting the picture. I like the idea of the sheeps skin shaved down. I like the fork protectors with your logo:)