The pressure foot on my bull won't stay down on the leather. I took off the plate to check the foot bar/rod and after I got it back on the leather I tightened the bar/rod but it only runs for a few inches before it lifts up again. Any ideas or do you know of a sewing machine mechanic in the New England area. Reach me here, or at. acoopersaddler@aol.com. Or: through my website. anthonycoopersaddler.com. Thanks, Tony

Not sure what you mean is it that the foot doesn't hold the work piece down as you are sewing as the needle is coming back up while the foot tension is on full, or the foot is sticking in its up position as its walking. First loosen the foot tension right off and move the foot up and down this should be nice and free and no binding if this is so tighten the foot tension back up and use a larger needle or finer thread. If the foot is stiff, sticking or binding strip the foot bar completely out role it on a flat surface to see if its bent and check for any dents if its bent you'll need a new one you can try and straighten, if there is a dent rub down the edges of the dent give the bar a good clean check the bushes reassemble the foot bar should move freely.

If this machine is a Ferdinand Bull (900B) it is a jump foot needle feed and the foot is supposed to lift up off of the material allowing the needle to move the material. If you check Ferdco's web site, there is a list of where to get parts for their machines now that they are closed. I woulde imagine you can probably find a manual for it as well. HTH Ken

Edited by Ken Nelson

Hi, I have an old Adler class 5 with jump foot, it has one adjustment for the height of the "jump" (clearing the material) and an other for the foot pressure.

Like Ken mentions it has to be adjusted to clear the material in order for the needle (and feed dog) to feed the material true. It is spring loaded; it lifts, follows the material feed backward and then the springs returns it to its initial position again. It must be something similar on this machine too, a picture would help.

Hi Ken,

are you sure the Ferdinand 900 Bull has a jump foot? I saw a video of it on youtube and it looked like it had needle and drop feed only. Like the Adler 205-64.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mu10WlpVWE

There might be other versions of this machine, however this one has no jump foot. The foot stay down on the material all the time and the needle and feed dog do the feeding. I have a flatbed Adler 204-64 (for sale) with identical feed, it works better on leather if you change the foot for a roller foot.

Tony, in order to help you we must know what kind of feed your machine has, the best thing is some pictures of it. Some shots of the feed, front and backside of the head.

Thanks

Tor

Trox the machine in the vid is not like the bull 900B I work on for a harness shop here. It does have a jump foot and the bobbin winder is built on the machine. I don't think the vid is a 900B.

They had some problems with the presser foot rasing up while sewing and we found the foot lift pedal return spring broken. With each jump of the foot the weight of the pedal and linkage would lift the foot a little, after a few stitches it would stop feeding.

Trox the machine in the vid is not like the bull 900B I work on for a harness shop here. It does have a jump foot and the bobbin winder is built on the machine. I don't think the vid is a 900B.

They had some problems with the presser foot rasing up while sewing and we found the foot lift pedal return spring broken. With each jump of the foot the weight of the pedal and linkage would lift the foot a little, after a few stitches it would stop feeding.

I do not know, the video was listed as a 900b Bull on youtube. And it has a built in bobbin winder. It is possible they made different versions, I know they customized many different machines included Adler 105 and 205-64. On their old web page you could find a complete lit of all machines they "pimped", I cannot find this info anymore.

I called a friend of mine yesterday that has a 900B Bull. It is a jump foot needle feed machine. Ken

Hi Ken, I believe you. I do not want to start an argument, no need for the bold text. It is possible Ferdco used other versions of the Consew machine; it comes in four different feeds. http://www.westchestersewing.com/consew/754r/

Consew 751R

Has lower feed only (a feed dog does all the feeding like a Ga 5-1 machine)

Consew 752 RDF

Has an upper and lower feed. A feed dog and a feeding foot. The upper and lower feed can be separately adjusted like on the Adler 105-25. The upper feeding foot is often mistaken for a jump foot. However, a jump foot is not a feeding foot; it is only a spring-loaded foot that follows the material backwards as explained earlier.

Consew 754R

Has lower and needle feed, like the machine in the video.

Consew 756R

Has triple feed. Lower, upper and needle feed. Like Juki TSC 441 and Adler 205-370

Consew 756 RFS

Same as above with a synchronized binder.

The machine in the video is based on a 754R and has lower and needle feed.

I have machines with all these feeds myself. An Adler 204-64 (like the 754R), an Adler 105-25 (like the 752RDF) and a 441 clone that has triple feed (like the 756R)

I also have an Adler class 5-27 with lower feed and a jump foot; it is the forerunner of the Adler 105-8. A spring-loaded upper jump foot that does not feed, but allows less foot pressure on leatherwork.

It is a common mistake to mix these two feeds; a jump foot and an upper feeding foot. They both walks (jumps), but only the driven upper foot does any feeding. In addition, they look very similar too. There are so many term and different descriptions of feed types that these mistakes are made every day.

Thanks

Tor

Don't know how the bold text got there. I have been in 6 or 7 shops over the years that have had 900B Ferdinand Bulls in them. All have been jump foot-needle feed machines. Apparently you know more than I do about them and it really doesn't make any difference to me one way or the other. Ferdco and Ferdinand both done a lot of custom machines, one or two of a kind things. Of course if you see it on you tube it has to be god's truth. I am sure there are people spreading opinion as fact there too. Some don't know the difference. Lets just drop this. I was just trying to pass along information. I have never owned one, but have sewn on more than 1. So have you ever sewn on a Square Feed, jump foot , needle feed. Who makes it? Ken

Edited by Ken Nelson

So have you ever sewn on a Square Feed, jump foot , needle feed. Who makes it? Ken

I have. My Union Lockstitch machine is square feed, jump foot and needle feed. It is now made and serviced by Campbell-Bosworth, in Yoakum, Texas.

So is my Luberto's classic, I beleive a pierson 6 may be and of course all the hook and awl machines. I have always wanted to test drive a Union lock, are they much different than a Landis 3?

Edited by Ken Nelson

I always wanted to have a Luberto Classic, but couldn't afford it. The Union Lockstitch fell out of heaven and into my expando. But, if I could really have any machine I dreamed of, it would be a Campbell High Lift. Period.

Never sewen on one, I guess it must be an Amerrican machine. Maybe a Luberto or something. Some of your needle and awl machine has needle feed and jumpfoot maybe. I see it would be an improvement on a regular needle feed with a jumpfoot. And nothing surprices me when it comes to the Ferdco company, I know they had a lot of patented new improvments. That was what they did, so I belive you when you tell me it has a jumpfoot. Why would I not. I only asked a question about those machines because I have never seen them. Since the person who started this topic is offline and we do not know what kind of machine he has, there is no point in discussing one of several Bull machines.

Thanks and happy new year all.

Tor

I did not see those last three posts before I posted, I am a slow writer.

Happy New Year Tor! and everybody else!!!

All those fine American machines are not available in Europe and they cost a fortune to ship. I know one Norwegian saddler who has two Union lockstitch machines. He have only good things to tell about them. He went to USA and bought them there and brought them back himself on a horse carriage. He is a Horse wagon instructor and hold classes in the US.

Thank you Wiz.

Happy New Year Wiz. You have good tastes. I have a Luberto's classic I was trying to sell but there are times when I wonder why I would let it go. Just got another Class 4 Cobra. I would trade the Classic for a very very good Landis 3 if you know of anyone that might make that trade. Ken

Edited by Ken Nelson