Hi,just showing off my new/old singer 45k25 i recently purchased for the princely sum of $50.The needle bar was rusted and seized,after a bit of rubbing with fine wet and dry paper she freed up and sewed so so.i also pulled off the tension discs and gave them a polish up as well.After oiling all the points and rehoming the spiders under her i have been playing in my shed all morning.Also i had to remove the shuttle and race and give that a clean up. i filled the bobbin, re adjusted the tensions top and bottom and gave her another whirl.In a word-beautiful.With about 8mm of oil tanned leather in it it just punched thru it like nothing with just hand wheeling.Now i just have to get that battle ship grey of her and bring her back as a black beauty.Also check out the serial number,i think its only 3 off the machine Devin posted about a couple of months back.His is in Sweden i think and mine is in Perth,Western Australia.

post-27125-0-10834200-1356843305_thumb.j

post-27125-0-76770400-1356843381_thumb.j

post-27125-0-20918800-1356843704_thumb.j

Looks like a great buy.Years ago we used to rebuild alot of them & they would sew an easy 3/8" or more of leather.

A true 45K25! Technically, once you put a normal presser foot on it, it becomes a 45K21! :)

Hi Darren,what needle system does this use and what thread/needle combi,s work with these machines.it does mark the leather up a bit top and bottom,i know of grinding the dogs down but what would be the best for the top?Using presser feet!Thank.you.

If

...it does mark the leather up a bit top and bottom,i know of grinding the dogs down but what would be the best for the top?Using presser feet!Thank.you.

If you grind down the teeth on the feeder, what is left to move your leather: osmosis? This is a bottom feeder only and it needs those teeth to move the material. The roller foot on top is there to prevent the top layer from being dragged out of alignment with the bottom layer. A flat presser foot can cause this misalignment, especially when you crank down the pressure spring to prevent the leather from lifting with the needle.

Silverback,

I also have a Singer 45K25. Just starting to use it as soon as I reset the timing. What size of needle do you have and what size of thread will you be using? any info would be a great help! rbrooks

Can answer at saddleup6@pocketinet.com if like. Good Luck!

Hi rbrooks,i am using coates dabond 138 thread and a 160/23 leather point needle at the moment.i will be contacting Darren at Able bonneys locker later to get some more needles and thread plus some extra bobbins.pay careful attention which way you thread thru the tension discs as they get touchy about the tension.i think also my bottom tension spring is a bit iffy so that may be replaced soon.Other than that they are a great machine laying down a good stitch.

Don't forget you need to wrap the thread around the bottom tension. The bottom tension spring acts to slow down the rotation of the tension discs.

Anyone know where I could find the tension assemblys for this machine? I have the stud for the top, though its a little rusty, the bottom assembly is there but it is really rusty and the check spring dosent spring, I have been calling around bugging lots of people but I'm not having much luck. I found a needle plate though, so thats exciting, if its the right one, havent got it yet.

Thanks,

Courtney