bydeniss

Needle Thread Won't Pick Up The Bobbin Thread On Tippmann Boss

I thought that I PM you, but I think I sent a message to myself:) I am not very familiar with LW forum.

There is no loop anymore, that spring adjustment solved the problem. Now the handle moves a bit hard, sometimes the foot get stuck "in the air" and same time I cannot move the handle, then I push a bit the bobbin shuttle and/or force the needle to go down just to force same time the foot to go down. I think I will try tomorrow, I tried enough for today...

Thank you trekster for your patience and all your help.

It sounds like you may have tightened it just a bit too tight - that can happen. But it also sounds like you are on the right track to fixing the loop problem. I can understand you putting it aside until tomorrow; sometimes enough is enough, and it is good to just let it set for awhile.

OK, I am having somewhat of a similar problem. Everything works fine on my machine if I am using heavier thread like the size 207 that Tandy Leather Orlando met. However, along with the stack of the threads that they say this machine can use, it also says that it could use the Z 69 Ortiz 70 which they claim is as fine of a thread as the machine can use. I currently have on a 7 X 3160 needle  when I put the bobbin in and pull the thread up from the bottom, it has no issue bringing the thread up. When I put the leather in, it absolutely refuses to make a loop from the needle and make a locking stitch!!!! 

I have tried Messing with the top tension, and the presser foot and everything except the Bobben. I repeat that I have had no other issues with the heavier weight thread’s. Just the z69 stuff.

Let me save a little time and explain that I’ve got experience sewing clothing. I have made wedding dresses for god sake. So it’s not like using a machine is brand new to me. I have never experienced a machine that is so persnickety like this   

i really want to use a finer thread on some things.  I find it  ridiculous that it will pick up without the leather, but it won’t pick up with it. I have tried suede, and some of my garment weight chrome tan as well as  seven, five, and 3 ounce veg tan. 

It might be worth mentioning that I do not have an issue like this with any thickness of leather with the 207 thread  

Not even with veg tan. With the heavier thread it’s Sousa long mostly like a champion. It does some weird things once in a while and customer service says they have no idea why it’s doing that. They seem to say that a lot     

If I cycle the machine while looking at the bobbin area, and there is no leather in it, I can see the loop come down and it grabs the bobbin thread just fine over and over and over. But once anything goes under the presser foot, it absolutely will not pick up. I have tried holding the bobbin thread I have tried holding the top thread I have tried holding both threads and nothing works 

I would like to say it is needle placement but it works fine for everything else, just not the finer stuff. So what gives? 

GAH!!!!! 

What am I doing wrong? 

Edited by FloridaLeatherGirl

On anything else I'd say needle and thread combo is wrong and the loop is not forming in front of the hook when the extra resistance of the leather comes into play..
Try a size needle up or down from what you are currently trying, or maybe even two sizes up or down from it..

Other than that, having never handled what looks like a sewing machine designed by Heath Robinson in his Diesel Punk days :)

I'll leave it to someone who actually uses one of these to give some informed advice..

Well I have an update. I changed the top thread to the heavier 277 but kept the lighter weight busy 69 on the bottom and it was having no issue picking up the thread. It was picking up the bottom thread with no problem. 

It’s picking up fine now and trucking along beautifully. So it’s something with the thinner thread on top.

Any idea what that could mean?

Yep, the lighter weight on the top is not able to form the "loop" when passing through leather..So, you have to experiment with the needles that you are using on the top when you are running the lighter thread on both top and bottom..the loop is formed by the top thread , the thread in the bobbin does not come into play in loop formation..

Edited by mikesc
typo

#69 (T70) thread requires a #16 or #18 needle and nothing more. If you use a needle meant for #207 thread the hole it pokes will be 4 or 5 times to big to give and resistance to the thread. This may be why the loop is dissolving before the hook can pick it off. You can try to offset the problem by creating more slack in the top thread on the downstroke. The check spring travel, center position and spring tension affect the slack. Normally, you stop the downward travel as the needle penetrates the material. Set the bottom stopped bracket so the spring stops as the needle enters the top layer. Play with the positioner slot until you get the most extra thread on the downstroke. This may allow the loop to form. Do install a #18 needle,