emr454

Drum-Dyed Horse Butts From Springfield Leather Co.

Has anyone used this leather before? I bought 2 black and 2 brown since they were only $2.99 each. How do they case and mold? I plan on making holsters with them.

Eric

Has anyone used this leather before? I bought 2 black and 2 brown since they were only $2.99 each. How do they case and mold? I plan on making holsters with them.

Eric

I have not purchased the drum dyed horse but have purchased a ton of the Horweens 5-7 oz and also the 7-9 oz horse butts from Springfield. Really nice.

With that being said the drum dyed horsebutt are only 6-8 inches wide. That is kinda narrow. You may get lucky and get a piece with no waste.

There is a reason they are so cheap. The grain side generally has a lot of cracks. The tannage is different than normal as they do not firm up when molded and dried.

I'm sure there will be some wasted leather on these. All 4 of the strips I got are 8"+ at the widest. Even if I only get 2 good holsters it was worth the $12 I spent.

Eric

Mine were clean. Good color. Soft tempered. For single layer holsters they may be too soft, but doubled or lined should be fine.

I still haven't made something from them. I'm thinking wallets might be real nice.

... Even if I only get 2 good holsters it was worth the $12 I spent.

Eric

Eric

You won't get good holsters with horse IMHO. They do not hold their form for long, retention will be crap within days(maybe hours) of the holster entering service.

I use the black ones for belt loops for IWB holsters. I have made holsters from both the black and the brown. The brown ones appear to be hard-rolled and more suited to it, while the black ones appear to be soft-rolled and only really appropriate for holsters for smaller, lighter handguns.

I picked up a few with my last order since they were cheap. They look terrible and are too soft for holsters IMO. Mine were covered in a white substance too. I do use the natural ones that are stiffer but only for accent pieces. I really don't like using horse hide for molded holsters, I personally have a hard time getting it to look good.

You get what you pay for I guess.