I am really lost on difference between dyes and stains, water vs oil,etc. Can someone break down what you would use dye for vs stain, water vs oil, etc?

Sent you a PM.

Could you pm me as well im interested!

Thanks, Keith

I would like to see this information as well. Thanks before hand.

NVLeatherWorx Sent 05 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Saw your post about the differences and uses. I will try and help if I can.

Stains (regardless of water vs. oil, etc.) are for giving the overall project a consistent coverage that often times gives a rustic or vintage appearance (depending of method of application). This includes the antiques.

Dyes are used to give a deep penetrating coverage of the color applied (again, regardless of water vs. oil, etc.). However, there are your basic hard colors (black, browns, mahogany) that are inteded to be used for full coverage while your vibrant colors are intended to provide artistic detail.

When it comes to the base of the product (i.e. water, oil, spirit) there are some major considerations to take into account. Water based products tend to have issues with lesser penetration, they frequently require multiple coats to get proper color and coverage, they have a very large rub-off factor, and when sealing them with acrylic or other sealants you will find that they smudge very bad, regardless of how long they have dried.

Oil based stains and dyes have a better penetration depth, can almost always achieve color and coverage desired with one application, and do not rub-off. They also have the added factor of providing some basic conditioning due to the oil content and their working time is much longer as oil tends to evaporate much slower than water.

In my shop I only use spirit based dyes as they are the best for penetration, color, consistency and durability. For stains I only use antique paste (spirit/oil based) for much the same reasons. I have been using these same products for over 30 years and have found no reason to change out. There are some who say that the chemicals in these products are dangerous but, unless you are intentionally sniffing it to get a high, there is no more danger than found when using the so-called eco-friendly (water based) products that lack greatly.

Hope this helps to clarify some of your questions. Let me know if there are any other questions and I will try to help.

Richard

I posted his message above, great info