bigorange

Inspiration Needed

I am in need of a wallet for myself. I have carried the current one for amost 1/2 of my life, (52), I love STEVEB's work ant the simpleness of it I don'r want to copy it and I can't come up with any of my own ideas !! I have started to carry all my "plastic" in a small card wallet and those I don't use regularly in a container at home help please

dont think of it as copying, thin of it as um...inspiration. Find some design elements form several projects, combine them and make it your own. There are only so many ways to make a wallet.

Thanks immiketoo!

BigOrange, Your wallet sounds about like my husband's...he pulled it out the other day and I couldn't believe how bad it looked. I told him I'd get around to making him a new one...Ditto on what Immiketoo said. Good luck!

here is what 2 hours game me ! enjoy !!! http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=45007

Edited by bigorange

all I have to finish is the edge

post-9958-0-91257500-1357749646_thumb.jp

post-9958-0-55409900-1357749654_thumb.jp

post-9958-0-67024400-1357749665_thumb.jp

post-9958-0-79275700-1357749676_thumb.jp

Edited by bigorange

Now you have a new wallet.....we all p;ost our things on here because we are proud when things turn out right plus for other people to learn from our mistakes and to share. I don';t consider it copying. Cheryl

Thanks I am enjoying it !!! now,, to try and put some money in it !

Now you have a new wallet.....we all p;ost our things on here because we are proud when things turn out right plus for other people to learn from our mistakes and to share. I don';t consider it copying. Cheryl

Cheryl please keep in mind not everyone agrees with this, I know a few early members who stopped posting here because their designs were being copied. I think it shows good manners if you ask first.

Clair

I guess I don't figure anyone has done a totally original design in a couple hundred years, it's the interpretation of someone's work I was talking about Clair. Imitation and flattery, all that. I think if someone is good enough to make an exact copy they probably wouldn't need to. Cheryl.

Fair enough Cheryl, I understand that. I'm just saying though it has gone a bit too far here at times (definitely not bigoranges which is very nice by the way) but in the form of a member being most gracious in showing how to do things and others with no inspiration of their own copying exactly what was being made and to top top it off selling the items afterwards.

Thankfully it hasn't happened recently but I do think if we see something we like here we should ask the original poster if they don't mind if we adapt or build upon their design just to show we are being mindful of their work as they could of put a lot of hours into their designs even though it may look like a simple construction.

Clair

I agree Clair, I saw a poster once who thinking he was showing gratitude posted his website and proudly said a lot of the designs came from here. I too am opposed to such things. But when I put my things on, lowly though they may be, I try and explain how I did it so others might wish to improve and make the design their own. Cheryl

Just my owm opinion of the topic in question.

At one time or another, probably most folks have copied, in a small way, something that others have done.

Some folks are extreme defenders of their designs and others are happy to think that something they created was good enough that others wanted to copy. I'm not speaking of volume production companies, but simply, leatherworkers and other crafty folks.

Many in the craft world are very much "artists", but many others are simply crafters and need something to copy or guide them along the way. This may result in the desire to "copy" another crafters work. Whether they sell it or not is their choice and doubtful that anyone is becoming a Warren Buffet by their actions.

Suppose someone could take the time, spend the money, and go after another crafter for copyright violation but easier not to display your works if some other crafter might copy your creation.

I believe that asking someone if they would be offended if their work were to be copied is a very polite way to approach the subject but there are times when this is either not possible, or overlooked. Many reasons why this might happen.

As with everything, there are as many opinions as there are people and interpretations of each opinion also falls under the same.

My advice: Attempt to enjoy life, be kind, share whatever you can share, love your craft, and of course, your family, friends, and mother earth.

God Bless.

Ray

I am inspired by many other leather artisans I I do not copy work of others I do incorporate some details I sure hope I have not offeded anyone here !