DHopper

Gun Case - Antique Suitcase Style

Wasn't sure if I should post this up here or over in the luggage forum. Decided that since I made it primarily to serve as a gun case; here it would go.

Since I purchased my first single action revolver I had the idea of turning a late 1800s suitcase into a gun case. Given that the cowboy era was what they reminded me of; and the fact that I can't walk around sporting a double holster rig, I wanted a case that looked the part. The problem I ran into was finding a suitcase in a condition that was good enough to actually use that didn't cost more than both my single actions combined. I used to see these things at sales and antique shops for next to nothing; at least until I wanted one. So it seemed to me that I had one option .... Make one from scratch.

The case is 17"x12" od and 16"x11" id approximately. I used all heavy veggie tanned tooling hide in 6-8 oz. It has a cardboard base form which the leather was wrapped and attached. It was all hand stitched as well. I made the handle by wrapping a 1/4" aluminum rod that I bent to shape.

I definitely learned a ton with this project. I would rearrange a few steps in the process next time around to quicken it up and save some headaches along the way. I would have definitely built a seperate interior form and lined that then installed it before putting in any rivets. All in all I'm super happy with it. Now to get it oiled up and waterproofed.

photo-976.jpg

photo-1414.jpg

photo-294.jpg

photo-437.jpg

Dear God in heaven, thats beautiful! I want to make one...

Thank you! I'm really happy with the outcome. Like a lot of projects; especially the ones that seem so daunting and are the first time trials, it takes a few days for it to sink in that its done and that I really did just make that.

I'll post up a few more pics after I oil it up. Still trying to determin exactly what I'm going to treat it with. I'm back and forth on just spraying it with waterproofing. That will darken it slightly like an oil, but adds a big weather barrier. What would you all do?

Dude, I'd oil it and then atom wax it. Classy.

Man that is sweet! Awesome job. Don't suppose you'd make a tutortial for that? :begging:

I would oil it then use Montana pitch blend or Skidmores cream Both are natural product using a mix of Bees wax mink oil and other products. Either product will give it protection with a rich low gloss look.

wOw! :specool:

I like that, you did a fantastic job on it.

Edited by St8LineGunsmith

I'd look into using Sno-Seal on it.

Did you use pop rivets on the corners?

Very nice!

Beautiful case. Really like the contrast on the reinforcement corners and the handle compared to the rest of the leather (though not sure if it just a contrast via the photo) I would have cut the binding straps from that same leather to unify the color a bit if leaving a natural finish. (though this advice comes from someone who has made a knife case and a watch band, so not sure if I have any weight in comments or criticism).

What did you use for the egg crate material? I'm looking into building a pistol case for a 1911 and some ammo (if I can ever find some again) and am concerned about different padding materials wicking the oil from the gun.

I'd say if you have enough oil on it to wick away you have too much.

not much else to add here..that is some fine work...very creative and to be done with out a store bought pattern is really something...

Thanks so much everyone! I'm loving it more every day. I've gotten one good even coat of our vegetable oil on it this weekend. It really gave it a rich golden color. I'll need to topcoat it for the final step. Think i'll use the 50/50 mop-n-glo & water treatment. Cheap, easy, it works great, and I've got some in the cabinet.

I used the foam from a cheap gun case from Walmart. It came with the top and bottom egg crate, as well as the 1 1/2" pick & pluck foam. Just had to trim about an inch off one edge.

I might try to work up a pic/video tutorial when I do another one. I'm going to do a small single revolver case, too. In that one ill try to do the felt custom interior.