csteel24

How To Pack A Heavy Sewing Machine For Overseas Transport?

Hi There,

Looks like I will move from San Francisco, CA to Hamburg Germany.

Of course I want to take my beloved Juki 1541 with me. I already called Juki USA ,but they do not have any spare original packaging. Does anybody have tips for me how I best can pack up and secure the machine for a overseas transport?

Thanks

Martin

Are you sending the head only, or the entire unit?

I was thinking to take everything, but for the matter of packaging, I'm only concert about the head.

For the servo motor I still have the original packaging and the table is quick taken down.

Cheers

Martin

I would bolt the head down to 3/4 plywood,and build a box around it..

I agree with Itch. To further protect the machine, go to home depot or lowes and get some of that polystyrene sheathing in the 1.5 inch thickness. Cut pieces to wedge under the harp and around the entire head in your plywood box. It's light weight, about $30 a sheet and is easily cut with a kitchen knife or saws-all.

If you have a budget or if an employer is paying for the move, I would take it to the ups store. Not cheap but they will build a package that will get your machine shipped safely.

How do you intend to send the machine to Germany? If by ship, you cannot use solid real wood, because it might carry insect larvae to another continent. You should build a plywood or composite material box all around and under the machine, with about 4 inch high runners on the bottom to allow a fork lift to get under the box. You will pay a fee based on the cubic feet occupied by the box, not the weight.

Fill the space inside with styrofoam or plywood supports and struts, to protect the cargo from shock, rolling on the sea and loading stresses.

I learned that I could ship a 4 cubic foot box, containing a 500 pound Union Lockstitch machine, from a dock in Ohio to Stockholm, Sweden, for about $476. I found this on a shipping company's website, using their own cargo fee calculator. The price varies slightly depending on who fills out the paperwork. Delivery to the dock would be additional, unless you take it there on a truck.

Get in touch with Steve Tayrien at Leather Machine Company, 1-866-962-9880, and see if he can help you. Steve ships internationally and knows the game.

Art

Lay some heavy plastic over the machine, and shoot some expanding foam into the crate to get a form fitting interior. Just like the pros do. You can get cans of the foam at any big box store like Home Depot

I defiantly will wrap the head in plastic. The last time I did send stuff with a container a Sofa got moist from salt water, no idea how that happened, but the sofa was done.

Martin