JohnBloch

What Is This On My Hide?

Are these bug bites or something? I bought this hide and I didn't even see these lumps. They are towards what I believe is the rump of the hide. Is it possible that they weren't there when I bought it?

post-36411-0-86973900-1357874224_thumb.j

Look like bug bites to me........let me guess......Tandy???

This can happen on many hides.......the cows are not in a bug free environment!

We should stage protests in the feedlots to force meat producers to spray the cows with bug spray to protect our leather.

Oops, that might get us in trouble with the organic food crowd. Comment withdrawn. :head_hurts_kr:

bug bites and or range marks... yep yep. Embrace them and make them part of your design.

On the piece of horse butt I got from Springfield Leather a few months ago, I found about a six inch incision, complete with stitches where they'd apparently operated on the horse at some point. Still trying to figure out what to do with it.

If you can't find a use for that I assure you I CAN!!! You should consider yourself pretty lucky to get such a unique piece.

I bought this piece from st leather, I picked it out by hand, but only out of like 4 hides. They keep the sides in the back, I can look at whatever shoulders I want to, and can pick a really nice one, but the sides I'm limited to what they bring out. They have a 4oz shoulder listed, but they normally don't have any.

This hide is massive though, it's a 28. I may look at tandy for a more expensive (and thus less blemished) hide next time.

Oh, and having a hide that got stitches sounds like a lucky catch. If it were common I'm sure I would have seen it by now.

A few years back, I was cutting out a pair of chinks and had some spots like that. Got to looking and found it to be lead buckshot. About a #8 shot to be exact. Always wondered what the whole story was behind it. Probably a cow that kept crawling out and eating the neighbors grass...??? Sure added character to the chinks !----------------------Bill

Looks like scaring of some kind that you usually see on very low grade imported hides. If you want better leather consider Wickett & Craig. Even their lowest grade would be much better.