SooperJake

Uneven Stitches On A Belt

I worked on a gun belt today stitching with the Cowboy CB4500. I had a number of spots where the stitch was either shorter than the setting or much longer than. Is it me and the feed pressure I am applying ? Can a sewing machine do this all on its own?

Please suggest corrections if you can.

Pictures tell all.

Thanks

post-32287-0-04802800-1357948314_thumb.j

post-32287-0-16550100-1357948327_thumb.j

post-32287-0-60839400-1357948333_thumb.j

Edited by SooperJake

Try sewing a piece of leather the same thickness without forcing it, just hold your fingers on each side to guide it. I believe the Cowboy cb4500 is a compound triple feed machine, and you shouldn't try forcing the material, the needle will feed the material at its own pace keeping the stitch length equal.

Are you just using the minimum pressure needed on the presser foot? If so, the stitch length can be changed by the weight of the belt as it folds over the arm, or by your hand pressure as you guide it. When I notice variances in stitch length, I tighten the pressure screw and support the strap for a few inches behind the head, with my left hand. This is where the table attachment can help you out. It keeps the belt or strap flat, removing gravity from the equation.

Are you just using the minimum pressure needed on the presser foot? If so, the stitch length can be changed by the weight of the belt as it folds over the arm, or by your hand pressure as you guide it. When I notice variances in stitch length, I tighten the pressure screw and support the strap for a few inches behind the head, with my left hand. This is where the table attachment can help you out. It keeps the belt or strap flat, removing gravity from the equation.

Wiz, I do have the foot pressure turned down to the bare minimum. I haven't used the table yet and was told that would also help, in conjunction with the roller guide. Is that so? I still have the standard plate on, and I went back to the standard double foot.

I was pretty sure the problem is me and not the machine. On smaller stuff like holsters and my test and practice pieces it has worked flawlessly.

Edited by SooperJake

Wow Jake, I had NO idea the machines could be so tricky. That's a sizable difference between stitches! I can't wait til I get one, then I will be able to feel the pain! Let us know how you get it sorted.