Tiara

Tanning An Air Dried Snake Skin

I was given an air dried snake skin. I've found the same basic information on home tanning snake skins in the archives and elsewhere on the net. Basically to soak for about 3 days in 50/50 solution of glycerin and denatured alcohol. Rinse in water, work until supple and dry.

I've also been reading ads by the companies producing various reptile tanning products. Is there any benefit to using these over the glycerin/alcohol process?

Is it better to leave it very dry or re-hydrate it to some degree first?

On some commercially tanned snake skins that were stiffer than I wanted especially after I dyed them, applying a mix of roughly a third each of water, alcohol and glycerin until fairly damp and let dry. One coat has usually been enough. If there is any excess it wipes off easily. The skins become quite a bit more supple even if glazed. I have some non glazed skins that become very soft and supple. Neither type has had a problem holding a finish, sticking to glue or darkening. Working them with my hands seems to open up the scale pockets. This gives the colors a bit more variety and contrast.

Since the glycerin will pull water from the air as well as hold water already in the skin, I am wondering if dampening the skin first will help speed up making it supple or will the water before it's finishing any chemical changes from the glycerin/alcohol would damage it?

It's rolled fairly tightly so I've not fully examined it. I don't know how brittle it might be. It's a lovely skin from what I've seen and was told by the friend who gave it to me that it was in very good shape when he rolled it. I'd like to have it turn out as nicely as possible.

So what do you suggest? do it yourself mix or commercial product? leave it dry before treating or dampening it first?

I lay the skin out on a board, scrape it clean and then I start with a basic 50/50 and brush it on liberally once a day (both sides) for about 5 days (not written in stone). If I want the skin stiffer, I increase the alcohol. Softer - more glycerin. I let it air-dry (out of sunlight) for about 3 days or more. So far, I've only used the skins as inlays in dog collars and as cover sleeves for cellphones and the like.

Thanks Spence,

So you are starting with a fresh scraped skin that hasn't been salted or dried first?

Most of what I'd found had people scraping and if not salting, then tacking to a board to dry before applying the 50/50 mix.

If you are starting with a fresh wet skin, then I should be safe rewetting the skins to unroll and apply the mix.

I do plan on using these for similar uses to the ones you mentioned.

Great looking GSD pic BTW. I admire your leashes and collars. I hope to work up to making my own sturdy collars and leashes. So far I've made some prong collar covers with snake, caiman tail and row stone stingray but not attempted to make an agitation strength collar or leash.