Hello, leather gurus, artisans, and hacks like me,

I have an ooold Brother DB2-B755-3, which is identical to a lot of Juki's I see around, and looked in the .pdf manual that it accepts "DBx1 (DBx5)" needles. I am overwhelmed in confusion about needles and sizing and system and all things surrounding this. I took out the needle it came with because i wanted something smaller so I put in "Schmetz Leather 130/705" and under that it says "110/18".

No good, unless i want to perforate leather. Did not make a stitch worth a darn. (see what I did there?!) I've seen all sorts of nonsensical numbers and am trying to hone in on what exactly will work for me.

What is the relation between the DBx and the actual needle sizing? What will work for me?

Thank you all for not making fun of me.

Paul

DBX1 is the needle system which defines the length and shank diameter.

The 130/705 AKA 15X1 or HAX1 is a flat shank needle used in domestic machines.

The needle system and "size" are unrelated and you choose needle size based on the thread size you want to use. Also you need to select the point style you want for your particular work.

Also you need to look at the limitations of the machine and I would not want to any heavier than about 20 ticket (#138) with this machine for which would use a 140/22 needle.

22 gauge is an old measurement and the 140 is metric and says the needle is 1.4mm wide.

Why not pick up the phone, ring a dealer from the forum and order what you need?