daveydude

Making A Cutting Table - Advice Appreciated

I'm setting up a new workshop in a large spare room in our house, and I have the space to set up an old kitchen table to use for pattern making & cutting on larger projects.

The idea I have is to cover the table with a heavy duty rubber mat, both for its non-slip properties, and so as not to damage the table surface - something like this:

http://slip-not.co.u...-Linear-Meter-C

Is this a viable option, and if so, what thickness should I go for? If it's not a good idea, is there an alternative covering I can use?

I personally don't think you'd want a rubber table, maybe I'm wrong here I don't know. My cutting table is 6'x8' and pretty much has a Masonite type top, I believe you can cut right on that however I normally have a green OLFA cutting Matt laying on it somewhere. It was a regular layout table from a factory that made clothing.

You could put a sheet of Masonite on your table, I think you'd appreciate a hard smooth surface when you're trying to sketch up patterns and such.

I think you knife will cut into and drag in the rubber and make it hard to cut things out.

Not a cheap alternative but..... I just happened to have a piece of Corian Solid Surface material left from a cabinet job.

My table was one of the first Computer workstation units which we didn't use anymore. I cut a piece of 3/4" X 4' X 8' MDF and attached it to the table top. The Corian was about 3' X 8'. I simply laid it on top. Since this material is quite dense it doesn't move around and makes a fabulous cutting surface plus when it gets too scarred I can sand it and have a new surface. Area the Corian does not cover on the table kakes a great place to lay the various metal rulers etc.

ferg

There is probably a plastic "seller" or "distributor" somewhere close to you. What you are looking for is a high density polyethylene, . . . it is what you get when you buy a white or light grey cutting board.

I paid $40 US for a 3 foot by 4 foot piece that is 1/4 inch thick, . . . have used it for about 6 years now, . . . it doubles as my desk top.

I'm planning on moving my shop to a different location, . . . and I'll just turn this piece over, . . . get a few more years out of it.

What is really nice about it, . . . the leather does not slip, . . . the plastic is "self healing" sort of where it is cut, . . . and it wipes clean with Windex.

Rubber will dull the tip of your cutting instrument very quickly, . . . also will drag against your cutting tool also, . . . I'd shun it like the plague.

May God bless,

Dwight

Awesome, thanks for all the help people, looks like I will scratch the leather idea - so glad I asked here first! I'm going to look into the polyethylene I think.

the one I got from jo ann fabric's is bigger than this so they do come bigger. It works good you can get your cuts square http://www.joann.com...zprd_10805158a/

Edited by seminole676

JoAnns fabrics normally have a 40% discount for one item, go to their web page.

My table is 5'X10', the top is a composite material so when I cut out pieces, I have a piece of leather that didn't get fully cured and is not good for anything else, that I slide under the hide I am cutting to keep the blade from cutting up the top too much. I have a cutting mad from Jo Anns on my regular work bench that really works well. Actually I get those from from my wife when she gets a new one. They are also really godd.

Bob