LeatherWerks

What Kind Of Leather Is This?

A customer of mine ask if I could make her a dog collar and leash for her dog. Sounded simple, and I said I would do it. Then she explained that she wanted both of these item to be make from 'soft' leather, not 'hard' leather like you see in pet stores.

I really don't have a clue what she meant by soft leather. Does anyone know of leather that is soft? I'm guessing we are not talking veg-tanned leather. Maybe it a combination of leathers, she just thought the leather actually touching the dog should be 'soft'.

Thanks,

Steve

Could you get chrome tanned leather that would be strong enough for a dog collar? I guess it would have to be a couple of pieces sewed together.

Steve

Chap leather would be a good choice, but depending on the type of dog the straps will be for, is another factor. A 130 pound Rotti, is will most likely tear it apart within the first day, while a Chihuahua it will last a lifetime.

There is "Soft Veg Tan". Springfield has it available in 2/3 oz and it's pretty nice stuff. I haven't tooled it yet (minus my initial 2" sample they sent me), but it seems doable with some caution. I have some inquiries for soft leather guitar straps, so I picked up a side to try it out and see what I can do. I think it would be pretty good doubled up. If it helps, my plan is to double it up and then put a piece of 4/5 oz front and back at the ends to make it more solid (making it about 15 oz total). That may be necessary for you to do something similar at the buckle end.

http://springfieldleather.com/20623/Side%2CTooling%2C2-3oz%2CSoft/

Chap leather would be a good choice, but depending on the type of dog the straps will be for, is another factor. A 130 pound Rotti, is will most likely tear it apart within the first day, while a Chihuahua it will last a lifetime.

I have to agree with this too. I don't think I would take the risk with my dog because he's a strong puller (unless it were an "around the house" collar), but a calmer/smaller dog would probably do well. But, who knows? Maybe a few layers of it bundled together will do quite well for strength.

Could you line the collar with a softer leather (oiled utility, for example) so the part touching her dog is soft but the main collar is the stronger stuff?

The 2-3 oz soft hand leather from Springfiled is great for lining most anything. I use it to line my messenger bags, collars and holsters. How about a collar made from 3-4 or 4-5 oz bridal leather with the Springfiled 2-3 oz soft hand liner. Buy a whole side as you will find other uses for this leather......

I'd go with buffalo (aka bison) for the leash and collar because buffalo is soft yet very strong (stronger than cowhide). Unfortunately, I think you'll probably have to buy a side--you'll have leather left over for other things. I'd line the leash and collar in deerhide. My dog, a great pyrenees, now weighs about 170 pounds. The picture next to this message shows him when he was only 5 months old. Any way, he used to pull a lot and bite his leash. The harness helped (has your friend considered a harness?), and I had the first 2 feet of his leash (closest to him) done in heavy brass chain, so he couldn't bite through it. The chain then attaches to a leather leash for the remaining 4 feet (total of 6 feet). BTW--if the dog is large, you might consider a choke collar so the dog can't slide out of it.

Maybe it's called something else in real life but at the Tandy store near me they have milled leather - it's veg-tanned, natural color and you can tool and dye it. It's pretty thick (I'm thinking 6~8oz?) and it's very soft - floppy like. I haven't used any yet but I'm planning to make a purse for my wife from some and maybe a vest for me.

I think they said they tumble it for a long time to soften it up. It feels nice and I look forward to using it. (Unless the experienced guys here know of any issues)