simontuntelder

Mallet Dies - What Can They Do? Who Makes Them?

My operation is quite small due to lack of space and lack of machinery. But my collection of leather accessories is quite developed, so now I've started thinking about getting some mallet dies made. Especially for something like watch straps and smaller key fobs, in order to be able to make them faster and make them more uniform.

But I have absolutely no experience with mallet dies, so my question is basically how big a piece would I be able to cut with one?

Lastly who are the good or cheap makers? I haven't read much about any makers, besides Texas Custom of course. But I'm sure there are more.

Thank you for any input.

You might be ok with very small items going through light leather but much bigger I think would take a lot of pounding.

I think Texas dies are probably the cheapest, I can't speak of thier quality but there was recently a discussion on that topic.

I use a shop press and it takes quite a bit of force to get even fairly small dies through medium weight leather.

I would also think a small press would be the best way to go. It would be easier on the dies also as well as more consistent. Look at a harbor freight store or there are several posts in this forum on them. I have looked at the small ones there, they have a very small footprint so they would not take up much space.

David

You'll also spend less on the dies. If you need one die the mallet type might be a good choice. Otherwise you can get a small bench top press and use it, they are cheap at harbor freight.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I should probably have been a lot clearer about my specific situation. I live in Denmark in Europe, so ordering some of the great cheap presses from Harbor Freight is out of the question. They're too heavy and out of the question.

I have the option to buy some rather cheap hydraulic clickers here in Denmark, but I live in a small house in the inner city that I share with some other people (we're all students), so I can't have any machinery - besides a Dremel.

So everything has to be made using man power and nothing else, which is why I'm interested in some mallet dies.

I would only be using it on leathers up to 3mm / 7oz at most - in most cases a lot thinner.

this link might help you. If not, try Googling "hand Clicker Press." Beware that this things are costly, but they can be retrofitted for a table.

http://www.hellopro.co.uk/Alpress_Hydraulic_Services-20558-noprofil-2006908-78008-0-1-1-fr-societe.html

Here is another link for you. They have a few dealers.

http://lucris.com.au/

Hey there,

I build dies, you can see some of them here in my gallery OR check us out at www.prorodeoorginals.com

thank you Chrsi

Clicker you link doesn't work.

Hey there,

I build dies, you can see some of them here in my gallery OR check us out at www.prorodeoorginals.com

thank you Chrsi

Do you also make mallet dies, as that is the only thing, I'm looking for at the moment.

What size shop press do you feel would work to do single layer of 8 to 10 ounce english bridal?

I have a couple of patterns that I will have done by Texas Custom. So if I am reading you guys right the mallet dies would not be the best choice for this type of leather?

Thanks for the advice as I also am trying to get this type of thing setup.

If your wanting to cut out large holster patterns I definitely don't think you'd want a mallet die, not saying it wouldn't work but I doubt it would be easy to hammer through it.

A 12 ton press should provide plenty of power to cut through the leather but I would go with a 20 ton because they are wider and usually built more solid. The extra width will come in handy.

What size shop press do you feel would work to do single layer of 8 to 10 ounce english bridal?

I have a couple of patterns that I will have done by Texas Custom. So if I am reading you guys right the mallet dies would not be the best choice for this type of leather?

If your wanting to cut out large holster patterns I definitely don't think you'd want a mallet die, not saying it wouldn't work but I doubt it would be easy to hammer through it.

A 12 ton press should provide plenty of power to cut through the leather but I would go with a 20 ton because they are wider and usually built more solid. The extra width will come in handy.

Harbor Freight has their 20 ton press on sale for $149 right now. I am going to pick one up and am having a Texas Customs Die quoted.

Excited to try this new method.

So Clicker I see you sell the ejection rubber also, is that what is used under the leather to protect the dies? If so how is that different or better than the "Red Poly Board" that other places sell for the hydraulic clickers. I plan to get and build a 20 ton from HF, and am just a little confused on the material used as a backer. Thanks

So Clicker I see you sell the ejection rubber also, is that what is used under the leather to protect the dies? If so how is that different or better than the "Red Poly Board" that other places sell for the hydraulic clickers. I plan to get and build a 20 ton from HF, and am just a little confused on the material used as a backer. Thanks

The "ejection rubber" is just that, it is ment to "eject" the cut item from the die rather than having to pop it out from behind or with some tool there by marking the die cut item.

Leela Valley is absolutely right regarding the ejection rubber, it's mainly for the leather/materials. You can check out US plastics they sell everything you can imagine in plastics, OR I can sure get it for you as well.

So it sits inside your die to push the leather back out after it is cut?

So it sits inside your die to push the leather back out after it is cut?

That's right.

Just got my press back from a friend who welded it up for me...

I will post some pics.

I am so happy with the first Texas Die I received a couple weeks ago. Amazed by the quality, price, and edge. A+ for Texas Die, this will not be my last from them.