Catrinel

Tucking Skin Under A Metal Edge

post-38421-0-71321500-1358907183_thumb.jI'm looking for some knowledgable person to give some input on how they might tuck some sting ray skin under a metal surrounding edge. I picture it being like carpentry, tucking carpet under the wall's edge? but how would you go about it? or is there another way? Edited by Catrinel

What is the piece that you're trying to tuck it under? Its hard to answer without a bit more detail or bigger pics.

the example picture is a dog tag. I'm making a different pendant, that's fairly close to the same size. I'll have the metal piece cast, and am just unsure how to lay the leather into it in a way that will have a nice clean finish.

perhaps it can be done as a snap in.

Edited by Catrinel

ray skin is really tough. You might have to poke the edges with so me sharp tools like a pick set. Or, you could try and leave a relatively large but deep channel for the skin so its easier to get in but wont come out. That's a tough dilemma.

Thank you for your input :)

So not helpful at all. Sorry :( the only other option I can think of is skiving, but ray skin is already thin and I don't know that you CAN skive it.

that's alright, it can be a thick pendant with the design I'm doing, I can make a large channel for it. You helped me figure it out for sure.

There was a post in here someplace on in laying ray to cut it then take a Dremel tool to sand down the beads on the edges so that you would have a smooth surface to stitch to. Or in your case to fold under. Hope that helps show us a pic when you get it done.

David

I did see a post like that as well, and will probably make use of that tactic :) I'll be happy to post a picture when it's finished.

I also need to find what adhesive to use to adhere the rayskin to the sterling silver...

I've sanded down stingray, you could do that so the edges are smooth and slide under easily.

As far as glue goes I would normally say a contact cement however you'll probably need to be able to slide the stingray under the metal part so contact cement might be out . You'll need something that you can apply wet like wood glue (not saying to use wood glue, just something like it). Just don't use anything that expands when it dries like gorilla glue.

Oh and sanding sting ray STINKS. It smells like burning dog toe nails. Where at least a dust mask

Thanks! I've read to sand it outside.

I was thinking of using an epoxy...

Since you are having the frame cast, consider doing it in two parts that will snap together. Could add some epoxy to ensure the pieces stay together.

Tom