JAM

Lining Fenders

Does anybody do lined fenders? And if yes, what weight leather do you use for the lining? What about lining other saddle parts, like the seat? If you ever line saddle parts, when and why do you do it?

Julia

I do. Up till now I've usually only been lining rear cinchas, rear billets, breast collars, and basically all parts that touch the horse, and sometmes fenders. I have decided to upgrade to also doing fenders as part of my basic saddle. I line mostly with latigo, because I like the added durability and I believe you get that with those parts that get a lot of sweat on them from the horse. I also like the feel of the component with latigo on the back. I like my fenders to be around 12 oz total when done, so I use 8 oz for the main fender and 4 oz for the liner.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Yes it does help. Thanks, Bob!

Julia,

A lot of people use pigskin for the lining of fenders. In asking around I have heard weights from 2-6 ounce. Many of the older saddlemakers that I have talked to used it exclusively for that purpose rather than latigo.

Regards,

Ben

Ben any idea why with the pigskin?

Julia I also sometimes line the fenders. I do it on fancy saddles to help with sweat staining coming through the fenders. I currently use light latigo. I think the layer of barge cement probably helps as much with a waterproof barrier as the latigo does. That's just my opinion take it or leave it

Buck