LeatherWerks

How Do You Tell If A Machine Is Timed Properly?

I have a Cobra 4 machine and was wondering how I could tell if it needed to be re-timed. What problems would I see with the stitching or anything else.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, I thought you knew this stuff....Oh the OTHER Steve.

The easiest way to check the hook timing is to take the needle plate off, and set the stitch length to zero.

Take the thread out of the upper and crank the machine through a couple of times (top of handwheel toward you). Now in the forward direction (always forward) take the needle to bottom dead center and continue go forward until the needle rises 3/16 of an inch and stop. The tip of the shuttle hook should about intersect the needle at the needle scarf. It can be a little off, but just a little.

If the hook is there, it is properly timed to the needle. If not call Steve (the other Steve). If you have the proper tools, you can loosen the screw that holds the hookshaft and reposition the hook and re-tighten.

Symptoms are generally missed stitches, but could be anything if it is way out of time.

Art

Thanks Art, I'm not the other Steve, but I do know him.

Steve

Edited by LeatherWerks

I often get people asking me to re-time machines. Nine times out of ten - maybe more - I find that the problem relates to needle, thread or tension, without ever laying hands on the machine.

My Cobra 4 started to drop stitches while doing Christmas orders - it had worked fine for a year.

I changed needles, thread, played with tensions and still when least expected, a missed stitch or two or more. I got that I would sew as slow as possible and watch the thread every stitch and if it wasn't catching, stop, back up the material and get the needle to go back in the same hole.

No productivity that way, so called the shop - Steve was away but Dave gave me suggestions - try dropping the needle a very small amount ( maybe a 1/16" from bottoming and retighten the screw) and then sew. If that works, then the machine should be retimed, or else just remember when installing a needle to not put it all the way in.

Following the instructions, my machine has not missed a stitch, so will now go through the process of retiming. Just would like to know what caused it to come out of time in the first place - it really hasn't done that much sewing.

Steve - if your machine is working fine, timing must be OK. As Art said and I experienced, dropped stitches is the first sign of trouble.

You never explained why timing was a possible concern on your Cobra.

JJ

On my machine a Pro 2000. I started having some problems with skipped stitches and i have never had a problem with that for 20 years or close to it. I changed thread and every thing works fine again. Guess i got a bad spool of thread. I would change thread and see what happens.

JJ the reason I thought my machine might be out of time was what it does when I finish my stitching. Imagine you are stitching a belt. I generally start to or three stitches before where I want to begin, back stitch and then go forward to lock in the starting point. Often when I get back to the starting point and and reverse the machine to lock the final stitch, I end up with what appears to be two threads on the bobbin side and one on top. When I pull the piece out to cut the threads the two threads are often jammed up in the bobbin area and they break.Could it be I'm just sewing over the thread tails where I started? I don't know.

Steve

Steve,

When back tacking, stop the machine with needle down (bottom dead center) continuing with the handwheel in the forward direction (top of handwheel towards you) bring the needle up 1/4 inch and stop. Switch direction and continue to finish the back tack. Do not under any circumstances move the handwheel in the opposite direction (top of wheel away from you) EVER, go around if you miss something. When you want to remove the piece, again rotate the handwheel in the forward direction (top towards you) until the takeup lever is at near the top position, there is a point where the thread will release from the shuttle, mine is just a tad before the takeup lever reaches the top. This is because the system uses a shuttle, which does not by definition go all the way around.

Art

Steve - I had the identical thing happen to me several times, until I realized what was happening. Like Art said above, you have to turn the handwheel forward until the thread has gone all the way around the shuttle - I don't watch the takeup lever, I continue to rotate the handwheel, until the needle is almost half way down on it's down stroke. That still allows plenty of room to remove your project when the presser foot is raised.

Just the learning curve when getting used to new hardware. Enjoy the machine.

JJ

Okay Art and JJ. I now know how to lock my stitches with the Cobra 4. It's works just like you said it would. Thanks for the help.

Steve