So, I just ordered a variety of stamps from Barry King and the guy I was talking to was extremely knowledgable and very helpful. I got a bunch of the things I need and while we were closing out the transaction I asked who I was speaking with. Turns out it was Barry himself! I don't know why I expected it to be someone else, but I was pleasantly surprised and the service was outstanding!

Barry listened to what I was trying to do, and was able to guide me to the tools I need and he was able to explain WHY i need them in order of importance, AND work with my budget.

I highly recommend you give him a call if you want to purchase high quality tools and deal with a first rate company!

Mike

Edited by immiketoo

So, I just ordered a variety of stamps from Barry King and the guy I was talking to was extremely knowledgable and very helpful. I got a bunch of the things I need and while we were closing out the transaction I asked who I was speaking with. Turns out it was Barry himself! I don't know why I expected it to be someone else, but I was pleasantly surprised and the service was outstanding!

Barry listened to what I was trying to do, and was able to guide me to the tools I need and he was able to explain WHY i need them in order of importance, AND work with my budget.

I highly recommend you give him a call if you want to purchase high quality tools and deal with a first rate company!

Mike

I'm finding that a lot of the custom guys are just cool people like that. I think it's easy to believe that they have some team of employees creating all these fine tools when it's actually just them taking pride in their name and product to make sure that we get the best tools we can in order to do the best work possible. I've got a few of Barry's bevelers on my yearly "ME" shopping list :)

I hear you man. It's just the corporate mindset we all have these days. If I'm ever famous or respected in this field, I want everyone to be able to come to my shop and sit and chat. You have to respect the time he took to talk to an unknown nooob like me. As for my ME tool list, well, its obscene, so I won't list it!

Edited by immiketoo

Guys, I couldn't agree more. It is cool when you are dealing with the artisan or craftsman who makes the item directly. I've recently realized the same thing happens with us a leather crafters. I have done several custom orders through my Etsy shop, and I spend a lot of time discussing exactly what the customer is looking for and giving them options on how it could look. I've gotten that same sense that the customer is really thrilled to be working with someone that is taking the time to make something just as they want it. I think the world of Barry King and I really believe he's got some of the best tools and a fantastic customer service attitude that makes me want to buy everything from him. AND, I don't think it really takes much effort on our part to make our customers feel the same way, especially in the age of Wally world.

Bob

Ditto and he will remember you as your business relationship grows! That goes a long way!

Yep. Its all about the relationship, and that's why its important to recognize good service when it happens!

Barry was one of the first major tool suppliers I met when I first got into the leather industry. I was working with Tandy at the time an had only been there for 6 months. Met Barry in the lounge of shilo inn in Pendleton Oregon after the first day of the trade show. Bought him a drink, shot the crap for a while an said goodnight. The next day, at the trade show, I had decided I was gonna go buy a few of his tools. Went to his booth, and started looking. He remembered me, an made me a killer deal on a handful of tools. I didn't ask for it, he offered. He's a good guy, and can't wait to get more of his tools. If anyone out there is looking for quality tools, check him out.

I just bought a 2 lb hammer from him today! Can't wait to hammer something!

I really wish we had folk like that over here :(

If you are ever through Sheridan, stop by his shop and say hi, he will take the time and show you around and tell you all the tools and equipment he uses to make his tools. He has a complete machine shop that does other things besides stamping tools. He is truely one of the good guys of the leather field.

RC