OdinUK

How I Get Two Tone Colours On My Makers Stamp

Some of you have asked how I get the two tone colors on my makers stamp like I used on the last belt I made.

Referring to the picture, after the stamp is applied, I dye the whole stamp in Fiebings red, making sure I cover the whole area. Then I get an fine weave cloth or a part of an old t-shirt and put either cotton wool or a folded paper towel into it and make it into a tight ball. Apply the black dye to it and begin to gently dab the black dye on to the raised areas on the stamp (third stamp down). Finally, if necessary, press down harder to make sure that all raised areas of the lettering are dyed black.

The red wont show through the black but if using other colours try on a scrap first.

Thats it! Hope thats useful to those interested.

Paul

post-0-0-14661700-1359122112_thumb.jpg

Nice technique!

Very cool, I've done the the same technique a few times but I never thought of dyeing it a different color, I just left in natural. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for sharing this!

For some of our new members that are unfamiliar with this technique, this is kind of a variant of "block dyeing".....not exactly, but very similar. I think this method is probably a LOT easier, especially for the simplicity and small area.

Thanks Paul, I was one who asked you that. Its a slick technique and your makers stamp is as cool as they come!

You're all welcome, I hope you find it useful. :)