Sherkhan1962

Quivers And Archery Arm Protectors

Here are two quivers, one simple with just fringes and a tatanka - no need to translate this word if you saw Dances with Wolves, and one fully decorated with fur, horse hair, feathers and lizard skin, and an archery arm protector covering entirely the forearm for maximum protection.

To draw the pattern for the arm protector was everything but easy, therefore I'll post it later on if it appears that some of you are interested once I am sure I have not lost it (searches to be done in my archives.) Photos are a bit better on my website since I was less limited concerning their size. I made a few others, but most found new owners (sold or offered) before I took any photo.

post-37938-0-11366400-1359207745_thumb.j

post-37938-0-69228700-1359207780_thumb.j

post-37938-0-18052400-1359207855_thumb.j

I like your motifs and color splashes!

i am in the process of designing my archery gear and I would love to have the pattern for the full arm guard if you can find it. my gear will be celtic inspired but I have always loved native american art and craftsmanship. I like what you make, it has wonderful look and flow to it.

Very nice work!

I would be interested in the pattern for the arm guatd as well I need to make a new one

It wasn't apparent until you posted a picture with your arm in the arm guard in the thread where you provide that pattern for it, but there is a small flap that sticks out towards the elbow that will be the source for interference with the string. It was an issue that a number of kids in my 4H group ran into when another leader had a project for them to make their own arm guards.

That little bit that sticks out is free to pull away from the arm and be a place for the string to snag on. Since there is a slight difference in how everyone's posture is when shooting, it can be an issue for some but not others. From the looks of the image you uploaded, it may have happened to you already. That also puts your arm at risk of getting smacked with the string. I guess the point I am trying to make is that it's a good idea to eliminate anything that could possibly snag as you have no idea of the stance of the person that will actually be wearing it. Sort of a 'better safe than sorry' sort of thing.

This isn't a criticism of the arm guard, just an observation of part of the design for something that could potentially be an issue for those who decide to use your pattern. I actually like the design and execution and it's not something I have seen done before.

Hi Shtoink (how the hell do you pronounce this?)

I see what you mean and I agree that it depends greatly on the position of the archer. When view from above you can draw a triangle using three main reference points: Eye/Shoulder joint/Hand. These points cannot be strictly aligned on a straight line because the head is not that mobile (except in The Exorcist!); it cannot twist aside that far. In such a case the string could smack any part between the eye and the wrist along this straight line.

Considering this natural triangle more or less acute depending on how profiled is the position of the shooter, and having discovered myself (painfully at the beginning) that the string usually smack the lower half of the forearm, and that consequently the upper edge of quite short regular arm guard was a concern because it is too close to the area at risk, I decided when designing mine to extend it as far as the pit between arm and forearm, at the level of the joint, to be sure. But my design, although cosmetic, creates this slightly curved part that has the tendency to be shaped like a hook when I bend my arm. A straight edge all around, less nice, would correct this issue, which is not one for me but which might be so, I have to reckon, for someone else.

Thanks for this appropriate comment that leads me to revise my document and to add later on the sketch I attached separately to illustrate the above.

Regards,

Fred

post-37938-0-18806700-1359889548_thumb.j

i guess shtoink is pronounced like the sound of an arrow leaving the bow and hitting the boss.

I love the look of the arm guard. even though i havent used my bow in 5 years, i'd love to have a go at making a guard like yours!

I agree that that's the way it's supposed to be in the diagram you have. I have some beefy forearms, not quite like Popeye, but close, which makes my stance a bit altered. It actually puts more of the upper area of my forearm at risk for string bites. I've also seen plenty of the kids get snagged with the shorter style guards, so we provide these for them and it eliminates the issue completely. I've had kids whose arrow never left the string because it got snagged on the arm guard. When you are dealing with about 20 or so kids, most of which are 12 and under, there's bigger things to have them focusing on besides a slight change in position of their elbow which they may not even be able tell the difference of at this point anyway. It is something that gets addressed as they get older, but when they are younger, you still want them to at least enjoy the activity.

After getting bit by the string on a 60+ lb bow several times, you start to keep an eye out for those potential issues.

As far as the pronunciation of my name, it like a 'sh' sound attached to a 'toink' sound. Smush them together with no pause in between. It's kinda like a springy noise, really.

Your response made me chuckle and you're not alone on the confusion. There's been plenty of permutations on actually pronouncing it, so no worries.