Just wanted to show off my latest project...and already it has earned a commission from a colleague!gallery_28097_1372_105750.jpg

its an A5 sketchpad cover, decorated with a rather tasteful sabre swallowing skull motif!

Stitching looks a bit wonky, as i was trying out different methods on this prototype, and i think i'll stick with my original method.

gallery_28097_1372_77096.jpg

The edges are not the best, as i made the mistake of dyeing before burnishing, but i think on this project it actually adds to the rustic battered and aged feel of the piece.

gallery_28097_1372_20502.jpg

Would love to hear any comments or opinions. I can take criticism as long as its constructive!

adam

Edited by lightningad

I love the closure. That is a very clever way of making it part of the front cover carving!

Bob

thanks Bob - i came up with the idea a few months back whilst making some gfits. I wanted to add a personalised carved panel to a chrome tanned cover i'd made (i made four, and this image is the one dyed veg tan one!), and was also looking for cost effective ways to close the journal. gallery_28097_1372_9137.jpgThe two just came together as a tuck-in flap, and i've taken it a stage further on this latest skull journal.

adam

Edited by lightningad

Unique closure idea...but I really like the tuck-in journal. If I would change anything on the skull journal...and this is my preference if it was for me, I would want the flap to come up and around a little farther and cover the 2 corners of the front so you couldn't see them. Nice job!

thanks...and well spotted. It was supposed to do exactly as you described, but i forgot to include some space for the pen holder inside, and when i cut the slot and inserted the pen, the flap no longer covered the corners, and only just reached inside the mouth!

At least i know the mistakes i made, so the next one will be much better.

adam

Real nice and unique I dig it!!!!!