glockanator

Louis Vuitton Leather

If you read that article you linked to you will see that Samsung paying Apple with a truck full of pennies/nickels is false. (It says it at the top of the article - False in big bold letters) Apple sued Samsung, then Samsung sued Apple, it has been going back and forth for years. Neither company has payed out yet because the judgments are being appealed.

There are so many online shops selling fakes that as soon as the Designer contacts them regarding the fakes, they shut down and open up under a different domain name. Many of them are out of China and it is extremely hard to track them down they move around so much.

If you read that article you linked to you will see that Samsung paying Apple with a truck full of pennies/nickels is false.

I am not sure if you're talking to me (I am the one that linked to the article, so it appears that way to me), but I already knew it was false. That's why I posted the link to it.

I am not sure if you're talking to me (I am the one that linked to the article, so it appears that way to me), but I already knew it was false. That's why I posted the link to it.

No I wasn't, sorry for the confusion. I was replying to DavidL who posted the false information to begin with. His last post stated the payment amount was 1 Billion but it appears he didn't read the complete article.

Karina

Your counterfeit is their replica.

I don't see how it's possible - they run a website that is blatant and in your face with stealing the identity of this company. Unless, of course Hermes has a hand in it... not saying they do, but at the same time it wouldn't be a bad business decision with each bag being $500 or so. That kind of thing's been done before. Then again maybe Hermes only allows high quality fakes (doesn't seem likely though)? Or perhaps international laws regarding copy rights muddies the waters too much for Hermes to stop them? This company excepts Visa and Master Card so those accounts could be seized if Hermes wanted (via court order, lawsuit).. they also claim to be members of the BBB and are VeriSign Trusted, etc..

To say that the purchasers are more dishonest is debatable IMHO, especially if the above were true.

Doug C

Splitting hairs really on the counterfeit vs replica bit. Most countries have laws for counterfeiting and a licensing process for replicas. I am not going to get sucked into a battle of semantics.

The shape of an item if it is registered is part of an items copyright. So you cannot make something that is within a similar shape of something else even down to the stitch count that is trademark or copyrighted. That is the whole point of those protections.

As far as counterfeits in China its impossible to stop because a fair amount of it is supported by the government. So much so that Chevy designed a car called the Cherry for the Chinese market and worked to promote it in the country once the Chinese had the car they copied it and produced it in China cheaper. So good luck getting the Chinese court system to rule against a Chinese manufacturer. You are spitting in the wind on that. Neither Microsoft, nor Chevy nor BMI nor ASCAP has been able to stop counterfeiting in China so how is a a handbag maker going to win? Its like whack a mole. I did a search on the owner of this site and they have 10 others just like it currently registered.

Finally you can get those logos for a website anywhere, but just for giggles I searched the BBB for a rating on this retailer and instead came up with this article: http://www.bbb.org/stlouis/migration/bbb-news-releases/2013/12/websites-lure-holiday-shoppers-to-buy-counterfeit-designer-goods-bbb-warns/

The pictures on that website are probably of real Hermes bags, but what arrives is not going to be what is in the picture. Caveat Emptor. People who buy counterfeit goods are really only ripping themselves off because they are paying good money for something that can't possibly be made of the same materials or build quality. A fake Rolex or kit car Hummer H1 on a Suburban Chassis is not the same thing even if its looks really similar.

Alas we have drifted from the OP's original question so I am not going to comment any further if you want to continue we can start a new topic or go PM.

This post approved by BBB, Trustwave Signed and VeriSign Trusted!

bottomccyy.gif

Edited by Zen Diesel

No I wasn't, sorry for the confusion. I was replying to DavidL who posted the false information to begin with. His last post stated the payment amount was 1 Billion but it appears he didn't read the complete article.

Karina

Oh, I understand now. Thank you.

Karina

Of course I didn't its not even real or important news. :)

Of course I didn't its not even real or important news. :)

Which is why you made a post as if it was real news.

No.. It was news that someone fabricated to look like it was real, never knew people would spend time doing that, so I was under the assumption It was real. Just one of those things that are interesting and it tied into the discussion.. about copyright design. Also I couldn't care less about the issue before I knew it was fake.

The number was off but who really cares.. you still understood its.. a bunch of money.

Edited by DavidL

Hey Zen - No battle of semantics needed... it's just that I know of legit replica companies (mostly making replica WWI & WWII items), and you made it sound like replica = counterfeit. Simple as that. And NO I don't need your take on what the differences are, thank you. The site in question states 'replica', implying a permission. I have not researched this company, nor have you. So neither of us have any real proof whether Hermes has given them permission or not. I was just taking them at face value. None of these websites say anything about 'genuine' or 'with exclusive permission from..' or anything like that - so the safe bet is no. But again IMHO, anything could go on behind the scenes.

I think you some how got the impression I was all for selling replicas without permission - trust me nothing could be farther from the truth. I asked the question in my post: "..Or perhaps international laws regarding copy rights muddies the waters too much for Hermes to stop them?" - and you not being a lawyer but having some lawyer friends were able to confirm my suspicions, thanks again.

And Zen, you know what you can do with your BBB, Trustwave, VeriSign logos - just saying, rude while only making your 7th post in a forum is usually a sign of things to come.

BTW, to pull this back on track... I did a quick search and found several companies that sell Louis Vuitton cloth (textiles) and "vinyl".. none of them say anything about being authentic - buyer be ware! I guess that's the route all of the custom car builders on TV (West Coast Customs, etc) go when providing their clients with LV seats.

Doug C

I have no opinion on the legality of doing this. Only question I have is why?

Like dressing your dog in a sequined sweater.

Edited by slipangle

:deadsubject:

I just happened upon this article, fits this thread perfectly I guess:

http://www.forevergeek.com/2010/06/the_best_use_of_louis_vuitton_products_youll_see_all_week/

Personally, I think these art pieces are cool... and LV should have no right to interfere with it.

Doug C

Edited by CustomDoug

post-38542-0-81221000-1414248882_thumb.j

This is what we all need.

Huh, well, it weirdly goes to the guitar - but look on the left and you'll see a LV waffle maker.

Edited by MonicaJacobson

the stuff by Vuitton is not leather . It's in fact plastic. Only leather is used to make straps & so forth & it's veg leather & it's coated these days with polyurethane so it wont turn color

Not to bump an old post but this is false. It's not plastic. It's actually a rubber coating applied over a printed high quality cotton canvas. The light leather trim is in fact leather and it is a high quality natural untreated leather, or vachetta. It will turn color and is sensitive to water because it has no treatment whatsoever.

If it's repurposed, you are fine. As long as you are not advertising it as a LV product. Any display of it should include a disclaimer that it was repurposed materials and is in no way a product from LV, and the logo is their property and in now way yours.

Now, with that said...do yourself a favor and stay far away from buying knock off materials. Plus, LV is VERY well known for protecting their brand, and doing it well. A great example involves the Jonas Brothers "band." One of them wanted a Gibson Les Paul painted with the LV pattern/logo. The hoops Gibson had to jump through for this was UN. REAL. And that was just to use the logo!

I, personally, would be slightly offended that someone wanted another brand logo on a handmade product from myself. I'm sure the customer meant no harm, but it's still disrespectful. It would be like me asking Nigel Armitage to make me a wallet, but then to have "Coach" stamped in the corner. Just my two cents.

Except that the future of the art world (particularly fashion and music) seems to be inclined towards collaborations. But I get your point. Though, to say that a disclaimer should be presented with any display of a repurposed piece of cloth having a logo.. well you sound like their legal team with that one and I disagree unless moneys are being made from it I guess. But still I have to say that I don't like someone having control over something I bought after I paid good money to own it. LV is an exception though because their gaudy logo has permiated modern civilization so well.

Doug C