SooperJake

Holster Production Per Year

How many holsters do you make per year, and do you earn your living doing this or just as a paying hobby?

I'm curious where the custom market is in general. It seems like most maker's sites I go on are backlogged for 6-12 or more weeks and, in some cases, they have their ordering systems shut off.

24 sold, have about 40 in stock. Been doing it for two years now. Just starting to get noticed. Things are picking up more and more.

I make perhaps 25-30 a year. It's still just a hobby. I don't see it becoming a full-fledged business, as I feel that the key to my limited success is that it's all done by hand, and in order to substantially increase the income, I'd have to either:

A. mass-produce using generic templates and a sewing machine, which would wipe out the custom, handcrafted aspect

or

B. charge a fortune for each piece, which would probably be appropriate in terms of the time involved, but not for the inherent value

I typically charge $65 for an Avenger or reinforced pancake, $50 for a pancake or simple pouch holster, $125 for a shoulder rig, $25 for a single mag pouch and $30 for a double.

I've been doing it as a serious part time thing for about 6 months. Been at it about a year total though. Last year I probably did about 15 all leather holsters. And several hundred hybrids. I also do my leather by hand, so I can't move them as quickly as the hybrids. But I am getting more requests for leather as I get better at it. Currently I have 2 1911 pancakes with double mag holsters ordered in leather. And just those four has caused me to pre warn one guy that it will take longer than normal for anything else. In the last 2 weeks I've sold about 25 hybrids with 3 more custom orders.

I'll also tell you that holsters, like everything else gun related, seems to be spiking right now. I thought it was just the holidays. But it has not slowed down. I just ordered 3 blue guns and Ring's is so backed up that they are taking a bit longer than normal. It's just crazy out there. I have run clean out of time. And as my luck would have it, my real job has really picked up lately too.

Me, I do several hundred a year ... Yes this is my full time buiseness and has been for well over 20 years.

How many holsters do you make per year, and do you earn your living doing this or just as a paying hobby?

I'm curious where the custom market is in general. It seems like most maker's sites I go on are backlogged for 6-12 or more weeks and, in some cases, they have their ordering systems shut off.

It was a hobby til I was kinda forced to retire a couple years ago, so I decided to try it as a full time gig...it's been a great supplement and I needed to keep busy, my golf game sucks so much I can only stand to play once a week, and fishing is pretty pricey anymore.....I agree with the above who say anything gun related is a booming biz right now.

A lot of customers tell me they would rather work with the "little guy" and of course dig the custom/handmade thing too....and they couldn't care less that I use a stitching machine.

I shipped over 300 orders last year. Each order containing between 1 to 4 items depending on the order. Not counting the items I made for myself, friends and family. This is working a few hours after work every day and many hours on weekends.

I quit the "day job" on 12/31/12 and decided to take a swing at it full time and see if it pays off. Im honestly finding it tough to replace a 40 hour paycheck with what I am making by building holsters but honestly, to me anyway, there was a super thick line between too many orders to do it as a part time gig and enough to really support doing it full time.

Hopefully my gamble pays off but only time will find the answer to that for me.

I shipped over 300 orders last year. Each order containing between 1 to 4 items depending on the order. Not counting the items I made for myself, friends and family. This is working a few hours after work every day and many hours on weekends.

I quit the "day job" on 12/31/12 and decided to take a swing at it full time and see if it pays off. Im honestly finding it tough to replace a 40 hour paycheck with what I am making by building holsters but honestly, to me anyway, there was a super thick line between too many orders to do it as a part time gig and enough to really support doing it full time.

Hopefully my gamble pays off but only time will find the answer to that for me.

Shooter, I think you'll make it just fine. Maybe a little exposure in the right place and you'll need employees!

I make perhaps 25-30 a year. It's still just a hobby. I don't see it becoming a full-fledged business, as I feel that the key to my limited success is that it's all done by hand, and in order to substantially increase the income, I'd have to either:

A. mass-produce using generic templates and a sewing machine, which would wipe out the custom, handcrafted aspect

or

B. charge a fortune for each piece, which would probably be appropriate in terms of the time involved, but not for the inherent value

I typically charge $65 for an Avenger or reinforced pancake, $50 for a pancake or simple pouch holster, $125 for a shoulder rig, $25 for a single mag pouch and $30 for a double.

I was going to ask about how much a custom holster sells for, but I guess this answers that question. So I'll ask this question between the cost of materials and time spent making the holster are you actually making any money on these?

3 $65 holsters from one hide and the hide is paid for. I'd say time is where you make or break a profit. But then, I suspect that most are making more xcustomized items and sell more holsters +$100 ?

I was going to ask about how much a custom holster sells for, but I guess this answers that question. So I'll ask this question between the cost of materials and time spent making the holster are you actually making any money on these?

From a business model, considering time invested, no.

It's a hobby that pays for itself, plus a little extra. The time I put into it is "multi-tasked" with watching TV, which I'd be doing anyway, on my nights off from the real job. Most cutting and all stitching are done in my recliner.

3 $65 holsters from one hide and the hide is paid for. I'd say time is where you make or break a profit. But then, I suspect that most are making more xcustomized items and sell more holsters +$100 ?

I'm doing it full-time to supplement my retirement......I only charge $45-$60 for a holster depending on style, enhancements, etc.

I consider it all custom because it's all made to order.....I don't have anything on the racks awaiting buyers.

I figure only the materials used are my "costs"...my time I consider profit. I'm making money doing it.

I don't worry about lights, heat, shop space, machinery amortization, etc...I let my tax guy take care of that at the end of the year.

I try to keep is as simple as possible.

Gotcha,, I'm kind of just like you guys. Leatherworking is my hobby that I do in my spare time. All the work that I have sold has been due to people seeing something I have made, liking it and asking me to make them something. But I always have a hard time pricing my work out. Materials is the easy part but calculator labor into it It Is just about impossible, at least for me.

Now you guys that are selling hundreds of holsters or sheathes a year, where is that business coming from? Are you doing knife and gun shows, consignment with gun shops, have your own store front, or do you just get that many special requests? For all you guys that do this full time as a liveing do you calculate labor into, if so how?

I've seen enough of others' work, so I rate my work where I think I fall with the competition....and price it accordingly,

Word of mouth, website, posting on other special interests forums...all add up.

And remember, you're just not getting paid for your time, but your talent too.