Kindaki

My First Journal Cover

My husbands best friend died last week and I wanted to make something for his wife to write in while she was dealing with all the pain. The last place they were together before he got really sick was Hawaii and his ashes are going to be spread there so I made that my theme. I used the chorus in a song by Helen Reddy called "You and me against the world" which I felt was really perfect.

post-38237-0-40413900-1359785645_thumb.j

This is my first big project. Usually I make small things like cuffs, key fobs and bookmarks. This project freaked me out and caused lots of stress but I got it done and it doesn't look too bad. I finished it in 2 days. I used a wood burner for all my details and found it works better on cased or damp leather instead of dry. I mixed yellow and silver eco-flo waterstain and covered all my pieces then painted with cova colors. I resisted all my paintings then covered everything with antique light brown. I put a waterproofer and conditioner over everything once it dried overnight. I used Jute cord to do the boarder and braided a long piece of jute for my wrap closure which has a shell on the end.

post-38237-0-21483500-1359785651_thumb.j

I know my work is very beginner so I am open to advice on how to make this better and easier next time I decide to drive myself crazy and try a larger project.

post-38237-0-59725400-1359785655_thumb.j

And sorry for the dark photos. I plan to get better ones in the morning before I give it to her.

Kindaki

Your work is absolutely gorgeous no matter rookie or not, its the meaning that counts. At a time like that no one should judge any imperfections of your work. In my honest opinion it looks great, and i would pay top dollar . My condolences, Keith

Thoughtful gift, and very well done.

My husbands best friend died last week and I wanted to make something for his wife to write in while she was dealing with all the pain......

Kindaki

Of all of the work that we do as leatherworkers pieces like this are amongst the most important. Your work looks very good.

Aaron

Wow, that is beautiful!

thank you everyone. i was really worried that it didnt look that good since i am not experienced with making them and i used my wood burner instead of tooling which is new also. i enjoyed painting it the most. she loved it btw. she cried a little but she said it was beautiful. hopefully it doesnt fall apart on her.