Bob Blea

8X11 Geometric Stamped Notebook

Hello,

I recently made this as a custom order. Someone saw a 5X8 notebook I have listed on Etsy and requested the same geometric stamp design but in a larger portfolio that would hold a 8x11 notepad. I had not tried making this design on a piece of leather that big. It involves two different box stamps that alternate in a checkerboard like pattern and it's a challenge to keep square. However, it turned out really good.

post-15714-0-28498100-1359851162_thumb.j post-15714-0-60788600-1359851191_thumb.j post-15714-0-57130800-1359851219_thumb.j

The notebook is made from 4 oz vegtan with a dark brown pigskin lining. The inside pocket is 2 oz. vegtan. It's all laced with dark brown leather lace.

The customer loved it when she got it, so it was a successful project. Any comments or criticisms welcome.

Bob

Very Nice!! I have trouble keeping one square for more than a couple rows, can't imagine doing two over that much distance. Bravo!

Lovely...and I really like that geometric stamp design! I'm sure she loved it!

holy moley - you must have a steady hand! very impressive control with that stamping.

Bob, that is an impressive bit of stamp work right there. Nicely done!

Thanks for the compliments. It really is a matter of practice and having a good technique. I've struggled with doing this type of stamp over a large area for years, but I think I've finally got a technique that works pretty well. I was thinking I should write up something on how I do these because I didn't find that much information out there on using them.

Bob

Beautiful!

Thanks for the compliments. It really is a matter of practice and having a good technique. I've struggled with doing this type of stamp over a large area for years, but I think I've finally got a technique that works pretty well. I was thinking I should write up something on how I do these because I didn't find that much information out there on using them.

Bob

I would love to see this tutorial when it makes the light of day. Keep us posted and thanks.

I would love to see this tutorial when it makes the light of day. Keep us posted and thanks.

Same here.

Approximately 713 opportunities for converting such a project into scrap leather!

Once again I pull my hat, Bob!

Rudi

:17: :16: I would also love to see how you do that. My reaction when I looked at the picture was a little like immiketoos avatar. :jawdropper:

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks all. Yes, there are many opportunities for converting this into scrap. Though I had a few times too, but it came out pretty even overall. In the future I think it makes more sense to make this notebook in two pieces, a front and back cover, and then sew each to a spine. That way if I mess up one side, I only ruin that part of it. Only reason I didn't do that was because I don't think my hand sewing skills are good enough yet. I'm working on that now though.

Thanks again for the nice compliments. I will try to write something in the next few weeks on this. I've taken a few pictures showing what tricks I've come up with, but need to write it up.

Bob

Bob,

I don't know how I missed this, but WOW!! I've never done any geometric things, but I'd sure like to learn. Looks to me like you'd be the one to go to figure it out. Very nicely done.

Wow, Bob, your skill with the geometric stamp is flawless...

The closeup shot is Awesome! This clearly shows a High

Quality of workmanship...

I really enjoy seeing your work

Thanks Double U and Cheryl, I really appreciate the comments. You are both too kind.

Bob

Flawless work my friend!

BTW, thanks for describing materials used for a rookie! haha

Thank you for the compliment! And by the way, I hadn't mentioned but the stamps are by Wayne Jueschke of Elko, NV who I think makes some of the best geometric stamps out there. I just love his tools.

Bob

Ditto ;)