SmkyTheBr

Clamping leather

I don't know if this is the right place to post this bit of information. When I have to lace or sew a project I sometimes use binder clips as clamps. They come in a whole range of sizes they are easy to fasten and unclip as you move along sewing or lacing. You can get them at any Office supply store like Staple's or Office Depot.

Tom

DSC00937.JPG

post-134-1219330773_thumb.jpg

Yeppers, they do work great. You want to open them up and check for being smooth before using though as I have had to use a file and get rid of some burrs on a few.

Yes, Binder clips work great especially with a little glue in the seam.... Other than checking for burrs, you also do not want to place them farther into the leather than the lace line if it is still cased.... the binder clips will imprint themselves into the leather. I did a beautiful paddle, but I rushed it by gluing the two sides together before the sides were totally dry, and used the clips all around the edge. After the glue had cured, i pulled the clips off and found nasty indentations all around it from the clips....

I have a big tub of them in the shop, they work great for just about everyting. Don't know what Iwould do without them.

I had a problem with my spring clamps marking the leather when I glued up a project. First, I used pieces of paint stirring sticks between the clamp and the leather. Now, I have a couple of pieces of scrap cut to generally fit knife sheaths or holsters,and I use them. Seems to work just fine so far.

Yeppers, they do work great. You want to open them up and check for being smooth before using though as I have had to use a file and get rid of some burrs on a few.

perhaps gluing a strip of card or leather on the contact faces would stop them marking

cheers

Mike