drcharlemagne

Bobbin Thread Direction

Hello everybody, today I would like to ask a simple question. I can never remember which way to install the bobbin. Is there an easy way to remember which way it is supposed to unwind?

By force of habit and an abundance of caution, I usually install bobbins so they feed backwards through the slot. I believe that this practice started decades ago with high speed rotary shuttle machines, before anti-spin springs were introduced into bobbin cases. If the bobbins are loaded so that they feed in the same direction as the hook rotates, they tend to unload themselves and may even form knots.

I always load them backwards on my rotary hook machines, even if they have anti-spin springs, to avoid having them unload all over the bobbin compartment.

By force of habit and an abundance of caution, I usually install bobbins so they feed backwards through the slot. I believe that this practice started decades ago with high speed rotary shuttle machines, before anti-spin springs were introduced into bobbin cases. If the bobbins are loaded so that they feed in the same direction as the hook rotates, they tend to unload themselves and may even form knots.

I always load them backwards on my rotary hook machines, even if they have anti-spin springs, to avoid having them unload all over the bobbin compartment.

Absolutely a must to do this on high speed machines. Right on Wiz. It helps prevent "backlash". The machine stops and the momentum of the bobbin keeps it spinning. Some machines are very unforgiving if the backlash isn't controlled. Alluminum bobbins help a lot because they're lighter than steel. As Wiz mentioned, there are several ways to control it. By far the most effective I've ever seen was made by Union Special. It was a standard small steel bobbin and the case had a small magnet recessed in the back. It's about the diameter of a pencil.

Regards, Eric

Ok, so does that mean that the thread makes sort of an acute angle at the slot as it goes back toward the exit hole keeper thing?

Yep, that's what it means.

Regards, Eric

How_to_install_bobbin.JPG

Hope this helps, click image to expand

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

ahh, a picture is worth a thousand words! Thats what I have been doing. good to be sure.