Hibernicus

Wood Carving Tools?

Knife cuts look like they're working better for you. Did it feel more comfortable with the sharpened blade and additional height?

Looks like your casing was still a little too wet. Without going into all the details that make you wait overnight and stuff, I'd let it sit another 5 - 10 minutes and see if that's any better. If I get to do any practice tonight, I'll take a shot of what my Herman Oak looks like when it's "ready" after a quick case. Maybe that will help in judging the moisture content.

Looks like your casing was still a little too wet. Without going into all the details that make you wait overnight and stuff, I'd let it sit another 5 - 10 minutes and see if that's any better.

Thanks, I'll try to keep that in mind on the next try. I think I still need to sharpen the blade a lot more.

... I think I still need to sharpen the blade a lot more.

Scary sharp :)

between your knife and your casing, you shouldn't feel any resistance when cutting.

I just want to say that this thread has been extremely helpful! I also just picked up the Tandy beginner kit and was starting to think I was just sucky with the swivel knife, but now I think it's the knife. Are there better companies/brands for swivel knives? Also, the info about properly casing has been helpful too. I've been watching tutorials on YouTube and so far no one has mentioned doing anything other than lightly wetting the leather with the sponge and letting it dry a bit.

And the idea about trades is awesome.

Are there better companies/brands for swivel knives?

There are LOTS of options. The two that are easiest to acquire are Barry King and LeatherWrangler's. The LW is a highly recommended extremely quality knife. I just can't afford one right now at $135. The Barry King knives are great knives and come in at about $50 with your choice of barrel size and blade. I have 1 BK complete swivel knife and blade, another angle blade I just bought to go into a Tandy barrel (another option for you if you can't afford the whole knife - just buy a blade from either one of them), and once I can justify/afford it I'll be buying one of the Leatherwrangler's SK-3....I'm kind of in a tool mode right now.

my next swivel knife purchase will be to buy a tangle boss from tanglefoot trading co