Texas Leash Co

Home Made Clicker Die Press

I finished making my clicker die press today. Total cost was a little over $500. I started off with a Harbor Freight 20 ton shop press and a Harbor Freight 20 ton pneumatic jack. I then had (2) 1"x12"x22" steel plates welded on to it. I also added 2 additional spring to lift the weight of the plate and jack. I pretty much followed the directions of some of the post on this website and then modified it to my specifications. I am going to order some dies next to try the thing out.

What do you think?

Here it is on YouTube in action:

http://youtu.be/NQ1GfAO_rs8

post-34802-0-05631500-1360330327_thumb.j

post-34802-0-08629800-1360330348_thumb.j

Edited by Texas Leash Co

Looks great,

I like the addition of the additional springs, I got my plates back from the welder on Tues evening, mounted them up and the weight is stretching out the stock springs more than I work like.

Looks like it will work great, I guess I should swing by Lowe's and pick some up. Will have to wait for reinforcements to show up at my house to assist in removing and putting the top plate back on. I placed it on there by myself the other night , that was a bear getting in place and thought a couple of times I was going to lose it and drop it on my toes.

Same with you I haven’t had a chance to try mine yet, waiting for the 6 sets of dies to show up. (Any day now).

Very nice work. I've been thinking about doing something similar lately.

The additional springs are a great idea.

I have been working on an idea like yours here, Thats cool Nice work!

Looks like it should work great! Can you put a presser gauge on it so you know how much force you are using, don't want to bend your dies. Any way to attach the die to the top plate so it comes up when you release the presser on mine I I'm always fighting with the dye it gets stuck in the bottom plastic plate.

Doug

I understand that the dies getting stuck is more a problem related to the type of cutting board/surface that is used. I suspect that a nylon/plastic type cutting board is more problematic that the type used on a real clicker press. But... my cutting board cost $10 at Sam's Club and the 12x24 clicker board is much more expensive.

I understand that the dies getting stuck is more a problem related to the type of cutting board/surface that is used. I suspect that a nylon/plastic type cutting board is more problematic that the type used on a real clicker press. But... my cutting board cost $10 at Sam's Club and the 12x24 clicker board is much more expensive.

I came across some 1/2 inch white plastic like is used by most food processing places not sure what is used on a clicker, If you use a harder cutting board would it dull the dye. I also added some high density foam the blue stuff you buy a home depot in the garden section. I have some denser stuff that I use on my kydex press I might give that a try. An interstate plastic has good prices on most plastic. If you have a restaurant supply store you can try there I picked up a used 2x3 cutting board for 10 bucks.

There is a company named US plastics, they have every kind of plastic you can think of. search the website BUT Your much better off to give them a call

Could you use a very firm foam rubber to push the die and cutting board apart when the pressure is released?

Patience is a virtue... I waited about a year and a half, but finally the auto parts shop at the end of my street put their 6 tonne shop press on special, just about 50% off.... was AUD$304 down to $160 with bonus $60 accessory pack... which is cool, just in case I ever need the dies.

Now I just need to find a bit of plate steel... good job the father in law is a steel fabricator :) maybe we can dig something out of the scrap bin. 

Given that a little clicker press with a smaller bed width is about $1300 here.... I should be able to deck out my shop with this shop press, steel plates, cutting mat, and a heap of dies for the same price as paying for one of those.

Sure, it won't be as quick as a clicker press, but it will certainly be quicker and more accurate than my scalpel for the repeatable things I make.

Congrats on the score! I'm waiting for a similar bit of good fortune to find me.

9 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Congrats on the score! I'm waiting for a similar bit of good fortune to find me.

The Harbor Freight presses are fairly inexpensive and go on sale often, not sure if there's one near you as i'm not sure about shipping one.  I simply just don't have the room to put one together yet.

We have one right up the road, actually.

3 hours ago, battlemunky said:

We have one right up the road, actually.

cool, now just need some steel plate and a welder...or a buddy that can weld ( haven't tried and don't think i'm ready to undertake another artform)  and some dies and you'll be rocking and rollin

They aren't the lightest of things that's for sure... Even though mine is only a bench top mount, on the floor it stands about waist height I suppose, it is pretty solid!

Wouldn't want to put it in a space you intend to use for multiple purposes.