JD50

Sheep Wool Trimmings

I guess this is a dumb question but I have to ask...

Today I was trimming some sheep wool for applicator pads and I looked down in the trash can and realized that about 80% of the stuff I paid good money for is going right in the trash and is never used.

The pack-rat in me took over and I picked it out of the trash and put it in a plastic bag thinking it's got to be good for something. But to save myself from moving it around for years thinking someday I'll need this stuff, I thought I'd ask if anyone can suggest any practical uses for loose sheep wool.

JD

I got nothing, except the same problem!! I trim it off into a box. I keep thinking I'll probably use it for padding in something at some point.

ive seen people sew them into horn covers for shipping or storing saddles. I personally trim the long hair off it an use it for applying bee naturals rudys and number one saddle oil. also for evenly applying dye.

Nope, got no ideas either...I used to save all the little leather dots from all the holes I punched out making things, thinking the same thing, I'll use them some day. I had about a gallon jar of them once I finally decided to throw them out.

Fiber is pretty cheap. If it is the cost of sheepskin, almost all of the cost is in the part you are using. I toss the twimmings, and I am very frugal.

Aaron

If you know anyone who does needle felting they might be able to use it although I suspect the fibers would be too short. Otherwise I would leave it outside some where for birds to use in nest building perhaps.

I am a recovering hoarder so I feel your pain. I force myself to throw out tiny leather scraps even though I know I could find a use for it. Once I have used it for tests and swivel knife practice etc I pitch it same with my wool trimmings though it is very hard for me!

Cheers, Toolingaround

You can use the trimmings to stuff bucking rolls

I chop mine up into very fine particles, add some cheyenne pepper and some parcley, roll it and smoke it.....then lean back and have all kind of weird ideas for my next leather project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One person suggested needle felting, but thought the fibers would be too short. You could go with the felting idea, but flat felting rather than needle felting. (Soapy hot water, Agitate the wool in the water, pat the wool flat, allow to dry. ) If you have enough you could end up with nice thick wool felt that could make nice cozy warm insoles for your shoes or moccasins.