Sign in to follow this  
c2369zulu

Need Tips On Working With Elephant Hide

Hello All,

I picked up a few SF of elephant hide and I am starting a few projects and could use any advice you can provide on working with elephant. I want to try a typical one piece "fold over and stitch" knife sheath using elephant on the outside and a 3-4 oz veg tan as a liner. Can you use a stitching groover effectively on elephant? I am not using a sewing machine, so how is the stitching line established? ....................Rory

Rory,

The stitch groover won't work on the elephant. You might try gluing a scrap on the 3-4 oz liner scrap and then punch stitch

holes from the inside (liner side) to see if the holes are visible. If this works then on the knife sheath prepunch your stitch holes

on one half of the sheath before glueing along the seam. Fold the sheath and then sew your seam together. You might not

prepunch holes at the tip. Hope this helps.

Blake

Thanks Blake.

I kind of figured that would be the best approach. I will give it a try :).................Rory

Ok, I gave it a try and it worked out ok I guess. Hard to keep the stitch line straight with this stuff. Here is a CRKT Ringed Razel knife sheath with elephant outer and cowhide lined. I have a thing for these razels. So handy............Rory

IMG_8473.jpg[/img]IMG_8472.jpg[/img]IMG_8471.jpg[/img]