GuardianConcealment

Makers Mark / Hot Stamping

I am looking for advice on how to stamp my logo on pre-dyed leather. I have seen some info on hot stamping and also branding.

Also what sources of stamps do you like? (Philips Engraving, Grey Ghost Graphics, etc.)

Thank you for your help,

James

A lot of people like Grey Ghost, but we have several good alternatives who are members of the forum. LW Leathers and EmbossingDieCompany are two that come to mind. LW provides a heat embossing solution. I think GreyGhost are the only one's who provide a traditional stamp that can be struck with a mallet. I haven't experienced any of them in pre-dyed leather, but I'm pretty sure they'll work just the same. They would just require a little more pressure to make sure you get a lasting impression.

I quite often stamp pre dyed and pre finished leather like English Bridle. No water or anything using Delrin stamps. They work fine, just require more pressure. I have a hot stamp somewhere in transit somewhere in the world but obviously can't comment on how well it works yet.

Here's a stamp in English bridle using a delrin stamp, I stamped it in an arbor press.

EE85E60C-FDF6-43FF-8626-798F744C9A2B-13183-00000AA10EF2F12D_zps69a5dfcc.jpg

Thanks for e info guys...I will check those vendors out. Billy update us once you try out your hot stamp but the Derlin stamp looks nice

anyone use LW Leathers electric branding stamp?

Here's what I received from Black market int on etsy. The price and shipping was very good. In fact it was less than I've paid for all of my delrin stamps. Its basically a brass stamp with a removable post on the back. Its designed to go into a soldering iron. It does not fit the soldering iron I have so so I think I'm going to modify it by putting a larger post on the back. Worst case scenario ill just use it as a regular stamp. It took about 2 weeks to get here from Hong Kong and the couple that make it were very good to work with.

2B5F30E0-BC3A-43FC-B542-6131E68D04ED-21248-000010FEEBE22222_zps83b2ae83.jpg

BEF59A46-5CB2-43E5-B8DB-A0ED213A76D8-21248-000010FEE5C5DF1B_zps29a513f7.jpg

Looks cool...

Let us know how it works once you get it up and running.

Spoke with a couple derlin stamp makers and they said that they did not recommend using the stamps on dry leather.

How many dry leather presses have you made with your derlin stamps and have you noticed any issues? LW leathers said their heat embosser should work but their video has them doing wet leather.

what size thread adapter is that?

Thanks man

Looks like yet another option:

http://www.brand-first.com/gallery/slides/BF_gallery_025.html#contact

Any one use brand-first?

It's a 5mm post you can also get it with a 4mm. I don't know the pitch. Most of the soldering irons aren't threaded but held in with a screw. The problem is finding the correct iron as the higher wattage ones have thicker posts so I think I'll just drill out the hole and tap it and put a larger post in it. Worst case scenario is it doesn't work and I have another stamp to use in the press, it makes a nice impression.

I have no idea how many impressions I've done with my delrin stamps but I'd say its in the thousands. Not always on dry leather though, when possible I do it in damp leather. With leather like English bridle though I stamp dry as it doesn't take water well. I think it would depend on the temper of the leather, I probably wouldn't want to do too many impressions on super hard leather dry. The English Bridle is a little on the softer side so it takes it well. All of my stamps still stamp well, I do have a really tiny one that has one small piece that's slightly messed up but not bad enough to even be noticeable. It will also depend on how much detail your stamp has, most of the ones I have that have heavy use simply say "McCabe" in an italic font to sort of resemble a signature but legible so there isn't any real fine lines which would require thin fragile lines in the plastic which could probably become damaged easier.

In all reality they are cheap enough that if they only last a few thousand impressions I'm ok with that but so far they all seem fine so far.

I really like this brass one though hopefully it works well hot too.

Cool...

My friend used grey ghost for his Derlin stamp

I am going to try it on dry eb

I wrote one of the customers listed on that brand first site to ask about her brand as it looks nice. Looks like a cool option. Not sure how and electric brand would look on black leather.

Thanks for your help

Edited by GuardianConcealment

I'm sure ill get flamed here for my edger choice but my favorite thus far(at least best for the money) is the Tandy leather ones that they call " the belt makers favorite" or something like that, they are a round bottom edger. They do require a little polishing up when you first get them but after that they hold an edge ok and always cut easily and cleanly.

So far I've tried those plus

The other Tandy ones, they are terrible

The Osborne ones similar to the round bottom Tandy ones. They are ok too but not much different than Tandys for twice the cost.

Osborne "common" edger. I use it on occasion but in general don't like it. It works better on exotics than the others though.

A Weavers Master edger. This is the worst one I've tried so far, you have to hold it at a very odd angle and it barely cuts.

Gomph round bottom edger. This one works pretty good but the cost is very high, I was hoping these would be the end all be all of edgers and I can't say that I really have any complaints about it but they are flat out expensive and I haven't seen enough advantage over one for a fraction of the cost especially when you start comparing purchasing 3 or 4 in different sizes.

That's all I've tried. There's plenty of others though, I think at some point ill try one from Ron's tools. They look pretty nice, they aren't cheap either though. The main thing is to know how to get them sharp and find one you like.

I am looking for advice on how to stamp my logo on pre-dyed leather. I have seen some info on hot stamping and also branding.

Also what sources of stamps do you like? (Philips Engraving, Grey Ghost Graphics, etc.)

Thank you for your help,

James

Grey Ghost get a +1 from me, exceptional detail in a small stamp.

We have 3 types of leather stamps and devices depends on your preference of embossing! The standard $38 one uses a c-clamp for emboss. Please see the instructions here: www.dropbox.com/s/jo2i4vjgxymko6t/instruction.pdf

We have another one that can be hammered on. ($98) www.etsy.com/listing/118992398/custom-leather-stamp-with-hammering

We also provide a custom heat embosser for leather stamping ($128). Please see the video in the link below. It's very easy to use and it takes only seconds to have a deep and long lasting emboss.

If you are interested in it, please let me know! Listing: www.etsy.com/listing/98894284/custom-leather-stamp-with-heat-embosser

Please send us your design (AI vector or high resolution JPG) to calvin@lwleathers.com and specify the size so we can discuss further!

Attached are some samples of leather branding with our heat embosser!

post-36627-0-46833900-1361435406_thumb.j

I just wanted to throw it out there that I am very pleased with stamps I purchased from LW Leather Works. The email correspondence was quick and easy. The stamps are high quality and I expect to get a ton of use out of them. It may have not been necessary, but I made some aluminum jigs that fit into the rammer of my arbor press. The jigs hold the stamps and keep them from shifting.

Hexacon electric makes leather brand irons. I currently use a 250w iron. Anything under 100w won't get hit enough. A torch will leave a soot.

I'll use a little acetone to dampen thin 2-3oz leather.

If I use water the leather will curl. I need to get a temperature control and play with the settings.

I also use a fine bristle stainless brush to clean the brass stamp inbetween stamping.

Good tips on using acetone! I wonder if it would leave a mark on natural veg tanned leather?

We now provide a 500W branding iron with temperature adjustment too! It's efficient for stamps up to 4 inches wide: http://lwleathers.com/product/electric-branding-iron-for-leather-wood-temperature-adjustable

Hexacon electric makes leather brand irons. I currently use a 250w iron. Anything under 100w won't get hit enough. A torch will leave a soot.

I'll use a little acetone to dampen thin 2-3oz leather.

If I use water the leather will curl. I need to get a temperature control and play with the settings.

I also use a fine bristle stainless brush to clean the brass stamp inbetween stamping.